WTB 45 degree chamfer cutter......

Olddaddy

Registered
Registered
Well, I think this is what I need and what it is called. I need to cut a 45 degree bevel on a tube using my Craftsman lathe and a milling attachment. Making a half-octagon tube as a test for a someday barrel project. Advice appreciated.

How about building an indexing set up for your lathe spindle and just index the barrel around 45º for each facet?

The indexer has many other uses on your lathe and you can facet barrels (any number of facets) with standard end mills.

I think the chamfer cutter is going to require greater stiffness from your machine and set up than is common with milling attachments on hobby lathes. Using standard end mills, you can easily limit each cut/pass to as light as necessary for your best finish. With the full width of the chamfer cutter "in the cut", greater stiffness is required.

My $.02

I'd be curious to see an indexing setup or drawings. No idea what it would be like. And my ignorance is showing, I don't know what a mill drill is.........

I'd be curious to see an indexing setup or drawings. No idea what it would be like. And my ignorance is showing, I don't know what a mill drill is.........

The link below shows one members indexer.
There are many ways to skin that cat.
I've seen people use gears, sprockets or graduated dials on their indexers.
For instance, mounting a 72 tooth gear to your spindle and anchoring a locking device that can engage/disengage the gear would let you index the spindle in 5 degree increments.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/spindle-indexing-on-a-lathe.4821/

Here is another approach:
It would work fine on a hexagon, but would probably need a different or additional fixture to chamfer rounds. The cost would probably be less than the chamfer cutter for a mill, and the setups are quick and easy.

Melin and Harvey Tool have good selections. The Melin mill/drills are less expensive., and they're versatile. They can spot,Csnk, chamfer and cut V grooves. I have two, cobalt and another is solid carbide.

Back