Most likely I'll be getting 2 12" lathes very soon . An Atlas and a Clausing . I'll keep in touch .

Thanks for letting me know.

Lately I have been thinking that even a smaller lathe would work great for me. Does anyone have an Atlas (618 or similar) or a South Bend 9" (any of the variants) lathe up for sale?

There is a 9" Craftsman lathe for $350 up in Pa right now . Look on CL .

There is a 9" Craftsman lathe for $350 up in Pa right now . Look on CL .

I just checked but wasn't able to find it. Could you please let me know where it popped up? Or should I be using a specific keyword to search for it (I tried the usual ones)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Baltimore CL , under tools . Search lathe .

The 109.20630 is an AA 6x12. It was sold by Sears but it wasn't made by Atlas. If you want a 6" lathe, your best choices are either Atlas 618 or Craftsman 101.21400 (same machine, different badges).

I can't really recommend the Atlas 9" unless you are starting a collection. They were made from 1932 up until about 1937. The repair parts situation is poor. Between the SB 9" and the Atlas 10", I would take the Atlas if it is a 10F. The 10F has Timken spindle bearings instead of split sleeve bearings, V-belts versus flat belts, and the repair parts situation is far better. Atlas made nearly 100,000 10" lathes, the majority being 10F's. The SB 9" is in my opinion almost always over priced. Beyond 10" the choices increase.

The 109.20630 is an AA 6x12. It was sold by Sears but it wasn't made by Atlas. If you want a 6" lathe, your best choices are either Atlas 618 or Craftsman 101.21400 (same machine, different badges).

I can't really recommend the Atlas 9" unless you are starting a collection. They were made from 1932 up until about 1937. The repair parts situation is poor. Between the SB 9" and the Atlas 10", I would take the Atlas if it is a 10F. The 10F has Timken spindle bearings instead of split sleeve bearings, V-belts versus flat belts, and the repair parts situation is far better. Atlas made nearly 100,000 10" lathes, the majority being 10F's. The SB 9" is in my opinion almost always over priced. Beyond 10" the choices increase.

This is such great information. Thank you very much.

Money is tight at the moment, and given the price point of SB 9" lathes in my general area (all over-priced, in my opinion, just as you've stated), unless I get super-lucky, I think I will need to settle for a good 6" lathe (Atlas 618 or 101). Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to locate any SB 10F's (or larger) around the PA/DE/NJ area that fall within my budget.

I am not even looking for a lathe in pristine condition. In fact I'd look forward to restoring an old lathe that might have been sitting around in someone's basement for the last 20 yrs.

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Minor Correction: The 10F is an Atlas machine, not SB. I'll add that the QC42 and the QC54 are Atlas 10F's with QCGB added.

Minor Correction: The 10F is an Atlas machine, not SB. I'll add that the QC42 and the QC54 are Atlas 10F's with QCGB added.

Thanks for letting me know.

Minor correction to my post as well - I meant Atlas 618 (619 was a typo).

Back