WTB: A36 or Cast Iron 2.75" x 4.5" x 6"

ChrisAttebery

Rocket Nerd
Registered
I'm looking for a block of steel or cast iron for a tool post riser. My finished dimensions are 2.75" x 4.5" x 6". Do any of you have a block in this size range or know where I can get one? Most of the places I've looked have A36 up to 2" thick. Cast iron in this size range seems to be very expensive. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't seen those at Speedy Metals. That's more than I wanted to spend and I'd have to have it shipped. I'd be looking at ~$160 shipped. I contacted Dura Bar and Versa Bar about cast iron. We'll see what they have to say.

I was hoping that someone might have a piece left over from a project, but the chances are pretty slim on a block this size.

Have you looked on eBay? I've had good luck buying offcuts from eBay sellers and usually for much less than
the usual metals places.

This guy came close on size. A PM to him might help find the size you want.

I did look at eBay but I didn't see anything in the size I'd need. I sent a message to that seller. I'll let you know what he has to say.

Have you looked on eBay? I've had good luck buying offcuts from eBay sellers and usually for much less than
the usual metals places.

This guy came close on size. A PM to him might help find the size you want.

Whenever I need a piece of metal this size, I head over to South Bay Metals in Gilroy. This is a long way to go, and sounds kind of silly on an international forum, but you may have a place like that in your neighborhood. ;)

McMaster Carr sells cast iron in all shapes and sizes along with any type of steel, tool steel, practically any material you can think of. That size will cost anywhere from 50-100 dollars just so you know.

I went to South Bay Metals here in Gilroy. They don't stock anything near this size but they have chunks of scrap laying around . I searched the lot for about 45 minutes and was about to leave when I found a chunk roughly 7.25 x 2.75 x 6.375" with a hole drilled along the corner on the longest edge. I have no idea what it is, but they gave it to me for $15. It's going to take awhile to whittle it down to a usable size on my CNC converted G0704. I'll just load it up and let it run for a few hours.

Good to hear that you found something. Yes, it does take quite a while to look through all their scrap in the dirt there. When I needed to make a plinth for my South Bend, I now remember making it out of pieces bolted/welded together. I was sad to see all the chips fly off when I had to face it down, but some waste was inevitable.

Back