WTB Atlas 618 lathe

jwmay

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’m looking to buy an Atlas 618. The machine doesn’t have to be pristine, but I’d like to get the standard accessories included.

It appears the 618 is a 6 inch lathe. I have a 3950 will a lot of other stuff to go with it that is currently not being used. Its at my brothers house right now and you live a ways away but thought I'd throw it out there. Not sure what its all worth yet. Any interest send me a message.

Yes, the Atlas 618 is a 6x18 lathe. The Atlas 3950 replaced the 618 and the 101.21200 replaced the 101.21400 in late 1972. The 3950 is an 8-speed machine and has ball spindle bearings whereas the earlier machine was 16-speed and had Timken tapered roller bearings. The countershaft assembly was integral to the lathe, and the 3950 had a somewhat smaller bench footprint. Both had cast iron headstocks (the Zamak one came later). Initial production of the newer machine used lot of 618 parts and the bed casting remained the same except for the location of most of the drilled or drilled and tapped holes. All accessories remained the same except that after a few years the paint color was changed to blue.

Found...Atlas 10x18 instead. Although, yeah I get it, nobody ever called it that before. TV36 in a basket. Just what I needed to get through the winter!

Actually, the 10E and earlier had similar part numbers, except that the second pair of digits was bed length. As in 1036 through 1054. And the Atlas 918 was a stripped down 936 with the "18" referring to the distance between centers instead of the bed length.

The TV36 is a few inches longer than the 618 because the headstock is a little longer. But with the Vertical countershaft, the depth or width dimension will be about the same as on the 618 since it has no countershaft bracket on the bench behind it. So odds are it will fit where a 618 would.

Back