WTB Belleville washers

Done searching the planet, time to attempt making my own .
I have a three ton arbor press I hope will do it ,
What material would stamp out easy and then treat to make springy , I'm thinking .010 thick ?
Should I make the die to do both Id od and cone same operation ?
I have paying customers that want me to make these things for them , but need the Belleville washers.
The washers need to be real close to .200 od-.112 Id
Thanks for any insight as I've never made a die before

Done searching the planet, time to attempt making my own .
I have a three ton arbor press I hope will do it ,
What material would stamp out easy and then treat to make springy , I'm thinking .010 thick ?
The washers need to be real close to .200 od-.112 Id

Yow, sounds like a real project.

If you don't need much force, bronze (you can get springy bronze shim
stock at 0.010") could work. Start with blanking (punch out disks),
drill the center hole (stack disks in a jig that centers your drill), then
deburr (tumbling would do it), and load the disks one-at-a-time
into a conical recess then push the conical ram down on 'em.

Bronze is work-hardened, so that'd be the end. If you want
a steel product, though, it's gotta get heat-treated afterward, could be
tricky.

If there's gonna be a lot of disks, it might pay to get a blanking
subpress made, places like mate.com can produce the right
dies. There's automated punch machines that can pop out
blanks REAL fast, that might be something to subcontract out.

If you could get something close off-the-shelf, opening up the center
hole with a (wire) EDM might be feasible on a stack of washers.

I would be inclined to start with annealed 1095 and have someone with a CNC punch make the washers and make a very basic setup to press the cone before heat treating. I think the angle on the punch to make the cone will conflict with the correct shear angle to punch the OD. You will gain a little in the OD and lose on the ID when you press the cone so a few tests on CR sheet or shim stock would reduce the trial and error.

What is Belleville washer ???
Conical spring resembling a washer, they may be stacked and develop considerable force over a very short span of travel in a small, space they are also inexpensive to produce.
Some mill spindles use stacks of them to hold the tools by the retention knob without power after a tool change.

Thanks lee spring smallest Id is .125 , these conical springs were a dime a dozen 10 yrs ago.
Annealed 1095 .010 , new searching for that and bronze tomorrow
The Id is the prob, I'll stack turn the od.
Thanks

IIRC, regular split lock washers are make from silicon or phosphor bronze. Naturally springy stuff. What spring rate are you needing?

0.119 x 0.236 at http://www.minibearings.com/store/item/w0030d006003s17/ but they still aren't cheap and they don't have 100. And those are ss....however, they do show sufficient stock in a carbon steel at 0.118 x 0.315 (which could be turned down) in bulk at $22.09/c
http://www.minibearings.com/store/item/w0030d008004c/

Kind of sounds like they may be Aussie, but they do call the site their "USA Dispatch Service", so might be worth a try. They have lots of miniature components. You might find something at PIC designs also. I did not look there, however. I used to buy some small parts there.

Have you considered or can you sub wave washers? They are available smaller, generally.

Example: http://www.centuryspring.com/wave-disc-springs-wav-24989.html

Thanks Tony , I ordered 100 of the .118x .315 disk springs from them and will turn down the od
Could be a little sloppy on the Id , should be close enough for what I'm making, think I showed u
wonder why i didn't find that place in my searches they are coming from Australia via usps
"Available while stock lasts , deleted item, " guess that's it

Hopefully they will work but if not , I'm thinking .010 bronze shim cut into 3/8" squares stacked 10 high into fixture and clamped , drill Id hole .110 , mount 10 pcs on screw with nut in lathe turn od to .206 ,
Make fixture with cone / concave , load 10pcs , smack with hammer, it will be trial and error
What u think

Back