WTB: D1-4 camlock chuck

I have a 6” 3 jaw chuck, that is D1-4, that came with my Jet lathe, the lathe itself has been nothing but stellar, the chuck has runout that you could measure with a pocket scale, I’d give it to you, but I personally don’t believe it’s worth the postage necessary to get it to you.

Jack,

If the back plate is removable and rotatable, before consigning it to scrap, have you tried rotating the back plate to each of the other possible positions? It is possible that a PO took it apart for some reason and didn't put it back together the same way that it came apart.

I think I have a spare Jacob's rubber flex set, but it's not d1-4. That one went when I sold my first lathe.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jack,

If the back plate is removable and rotatable, before consigning it to scrap, have you tried rotating the back plate to each of the other possible positions? It is possible that a PO took it apart for some reason and didn't put it back together the same way that it came apart.

I bought the 14 x 40 Jet lathe new, it’s a 6” 3 jaw chuck with an integral D1-4 mount, I’ve used either a 6” or 8” Bison 3 jaw chuck (depending on the need), since lathe was new. I saw how far out the run out was, so it was an just relegated it to a box behind the lathe. Other than that, the lathe has been perfect for my needs. Probably should have said something about the chuck, when I first found the issue, but mounted one of the Bisons, and the next thing I knew it, 8-10 yrs had passed, before remembered the funky lathe chuck.

OK. That's too bad.

@Buffalo21 - thanks for the offer! I already picked up a 3-jaw, so a 4-jaw and Jacobs Rubber Flex Collet are the two I'm keeping an eye out for.

@Weldingrod1 - The Jacobs in D1-4 has been a pain to find...not a common size. Did you like it when you had it? I currently use an ER40 chuck and it works great, but would like a system with a bit more range and quicker on/off.

I finally converted my south bend to d1-3 right before I sold it to a buddy, so I really didnt use the d1-3 Jacob's at all. I have a Jacob's that fits my Hardinge, and I have used it a few times. If I didnt have 5c capabilities I would use it a lot more!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back