WTB handles for an Atlas MHx Horizontal Milling machine.

Atlas2start

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in the process of restoring an Atlas MHC horizontal Milling machine. It was not complete when I purchased it. The other parts I can find on Ebay, but the 2 handles for the up/down and the left/right are proving to be a problem. I know that many people buy these models to convert over to MFx models. Does anyone know someone who has done this, that might have kept the handles? And might be interested in selling them?
Thankyou.

When I wanted to upgrade the handwheels on my RF45 I bought handwheels from Grizzly and machined them to fit.

The MHx was a lever-handled machine, not real common compared to the handwheel versions.

image.png

A lever-fed mill is a pretty handy thing to have.
If you can't find or fabricate the components you might consider selling or trading your machine for one which better suits your needs.
Best wishes for your project.

Last edited:
Carr-Lane has some cast levers but they are pretty clumsy looking compared with what is supposed to go on your machine.

If you art not trying to maintain the original appearance you might copy the handles on a Barker mill. There should be lots of pictures here:

Or unless they still have one or two sitting lonely on a shelf, Clausing will most likely email you a TIF or a PDF of the original drawing.

Another possibility as you said is to find someone who converted their MH(*) to an M1(*) or MF(*) {where the (*) means A, B or C}. There have been at least two such conversions mentioned in the Atlas-Craftsman forum. Track down the posts and ask the OP whether or not he still has the levers.

Presuming you have the pinion shafts, what diameter and are they splined or keyed or?

Back