WTB MT3 Live center set

Headrc

Registered
Registered
If anyone has a MT3 live center set they want to sell please let me know. Probably not a Ritten or Royal as those would be too expensive for my hobby needs ...but if there is something better then the Chinese sets out there at a reasonable price I might be interested.

Thanks for that recommendation. Actually I was looking at the advantages of the detachable live centers with multiple tips ...do you have an opinion on how useful they are?

Never used one. I suppose their usefulness depends on what you plan on using them for and how they compare cost wise to
dedicated live centers. I don't know, but suspect that cheap would not be the way to go for something like that.

The only advantages of the replaceable tip live centers are that they won't cost as much and don't take up as much storage space as the equivalent individual centers. Generally, a convertible ought to cost about twice what any two decent individual ones cost.

It's not hard to make your own live center but it is if you want one with a tenth or two of run-out.

It's not hard to make your own live center but it is if you want one with a tenth or two of run-out.
Agreed. And even more so if you want it to do heavier work for a long time without problems.

I use an exchangeable tip Royal live center and it is very useful. It has a standard tip, a tip that can be machined as an extended tip for small diameter work, a bull nose and inverted bull nose. The set is match-ground to the live center so it is very accurate (TIR 0.00005"). It is also very expensive. Nice thing is that if you make or cut your own tip, Royal will grind it to match the live center for free to maintain the accuracy of the live center.

With that said, the standard 60 degree tip is used 90+% of the time and it is far cheaper to buy a good standard live center. Royal, Riten and Rohm are all very good.

Upon Mikey's recommendation I bought a new Riven and will see where all this takes me. The interchangeable is very interesting to me ....but not at the costs of what a Royal would cost me at this time. Too many other wants and needs for what is getting to be an expensive hobby. :)

Back