WTB Stock for a plinth

ttabbal

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'd like to pick up some steel stock for a plinth for my lathe. Finished thickness is about 2.5", 6" long in one direction. Perhaps 3" in the other. Finding that thickness has presented some issues so I thought I'd see if anyone has some here. I'm not picky on the grade of steel, but was avoiding aluminum to make threads a bit stronger. Aluminum threads and I don't seem to get along. :)

The problem I have on ebay is sorting out the results. There's a lot of stuff, but finding particular stuff is tiresome. People don't really organize it in many cases. Trying to search for thickness or similar has not worked out for me. So I end up scrolling through pages of sheet metal and such. If you have some ebay store names that are good that way, please share.

I know what you mean: it takes a while to make your way through the results. The way you word your search is important. I just
tried "rectangular steel bar" and came up with someone called power-boater (10045 ) that seems to have material similar to what
you want. If he doesn't have your size listed, you could send him a message and ask.

Even though it takes time, I usually check ebay anyway: I've found some very good deals on oddball sizes in the past.

Thanks for the tip. I'll keep looking there of course. Never know what you might find around.

Back