WTB: Threading tool that will take ACME inserts...

expressline99

Registered
Registered
I need to cut some acme threads left and right hand. 10 tpi. I have a horrible time deciphering what inserts fit what holders... and most of the tools I see have huge shanks. I'm doing this on a 10" lathe with a BXA QCTP so It can't be huge or I won't get low enough on the stock. Ideas or hints? Have what I need. Let me know.

Paul

Download the Carmex catalog and see which inserts and anvils you'll need. Carmex carries Acme inserts for LH and RH Acme threads. I think the smallest shank tool holder is 1/2" - not sure it that will work out for you.

BXA on a 10" lathe? I'm surprised it allows you to get your tools on center.

Download the Carmex catalog and see which inserts and anvils you'll need. Carmex carries Acme inserts for LH and RH Acme threads. I think the smallest shank tool holder is 1/2" - not sure it that will work out for you.

BXA on a 10" lathe? I'm surprised it allows you to get your tools on center.

I know I've had complaints about me buying that... a little bit big. Should be AXA. But it seems to adjust down to center just fine. I'm using small tools though. But I believe my boring bar is 1/2"

Paul

I just had a quick look at the Carmex catalog and they actually have tools that go down to 3/16" but I think a 3/8" tool holder might work for you.

Yeah, an AXA would probably be a better size for your lathe but hey, whatever works for you. I have an 11" Emco and I can't get low enough to use 1/2" shank tools without modifying them so I was surprised at the BXA thing.

I am using the Kaiser Thinbit holder, theirs will do it, using their own bits. They will even custom make bits. They did a 60 degree with the center point of the bit is only 0.040 from the left edge, another project they did for me is for threading M14 barrel tenon, a 10 TPI 29 degrees.

Using their holders on 2 AXA systems, one on the 1024 and the other in the 1236.

Hi Paul,
Unless you plan to do a lot of threading, you might just make your own Acme cutters from HSS. It is a lot cheaper, inserts also require holders and the price of the package can get steep if you don't plan to use them much.

Hi Paul,
Unless you plan to do a lot of threading, you might just make your own Acme cutters from HSS. It is a lot cheaper, inserts also require holders and the price of the package can get steep if you don't plan to use them much.

Hey Bob you have a point there. Either way I need a follow rest for this thing. So I went ahead and bit the bullet on that. Was cheaper to buy the rest new from Logan than used on ebay. I'll try grinding one...I'm a tad bit crummy at grinding. But will have to see.

I am using the Kaiser Thinbit holder, theirs will do it, using their own bits. They will even custom make bits. They did a 60 degree with the center point of the bit is only 0.040 from the left edge, another project they did for me is for threading M14 barrel tenon, a 10 TPI 29 degrees.

Using their holders on 2 AXA systems, one on the 1024 and the other in the 1236.

Looks like if I flunk out with the grinding my own bit I'll be going with this or the carmex.

I just had a quick look at the Carmex catalog and they actually have tools that go down to 3/16" but I think a 3/8" tool holder might work for you.

Yeah, an AXA would probably be a better size for your lathe but hey, whatever works for you. I have an 11" Emco and I can't get low enough to use 1/2" shank tools without modifying them so I was surprised at the BXA thing.

I've gotten "feed back" every time I post about the BXA so I'm considering selling it to my brother in law and changing out to an AXA. I'm not great at any of this stuff but the fire is in my belly for it. On your Emco it's a AXA or BXA?

Paul

Paul,

I've never used the Kaiser Thinbit Acme threading inserts but have used their 60 Deg V-form once or twice. And have used a lot of their .020" and .062" grooving tools, mostly for parting off, actually. They may sell inserts that will fit on some round boring bars but the V-form holder (and the grooving holders) that I have are all 3/8" square and I use them in #101 AXA tool holders on a 12". Bought the first of the grooving cutters maybe 30 years ago and have never been sorry.

Paul, I use an Aloris or Dorian AXA on my Emco.

This one is a Shars which I know the entire setup cost less than one holder on those two. I did have an aloris on the leblond. But at that time I didn't learn how to use the machine before I sold it. (I am horribly sad about that now.) That was 10 years ago. If I could find an Aloris for a decent price I'd buy the holders as needed.

Paul

Back