WTK Does any one make or sell spider for Pm1340 GT

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I just got my PM 1340 GT lathe , and in doing some thinking about it, I think I’m going to need to have a spider. I understand perfectly that I should make one, and that would be good practice, but at this time I don’t have a dividing head. I’m wondering if there is anyone that sells these, or would be willing to make one for a reasonable price?

Last edited:
It seems I have misunderstood what you're looking for. The "spider" I have in mind fits inside the chuck jaws for working with short stock. I ran down the drawings for the post above. And was surprised at something so simple could be so hard.

The one I made is so crude it looks like it won't work. But it does, well enough for what I do, anyway. Mine is three point, I'm sure a four point would be easier. Just a center finder on most any machinist's scale. The three point involved making a disposable insert to achieve a center divot. Then swing the radius to get sixths, taking every other one to mark the stock. With a four point spider, if the tips of the setscrews will make up to the stock, it can be centered. Might take some adjusting, but doable.

What I want is the insert for a three jaw chuck. It looks doable, but for the small sizes I need, it will be sorta flimsy. I'm still studying on how small I can get and it hold up.

Bottom line, make what you need out of a piece of pipe and some set screws. As long as the set screws meet in the middle it will do the job. When you get a dividing head, make a pretty one. If you ever do, those things are 'spensive,
Bill Hudson​

It seems I have misunderstood what you're looking for. The "spider" I have in mind fits inside the chuck jaws for working with short stock. I ran down the drawings for the post above. And was surprised at something so simple could be so hard.

The one I made is so crude it looks like it won't work. But it does, well enough for what I do, anyway. Mine is three point, I'm sure a four point would be easier. Just a center finder on most any machinist's scale. The three point involved making a disposable insert to achieve a center divot. Then swing the radius to get sixths, taking every other one to mark the stock. With a four point spider, if the tips of the setscrews will make up to the stock, it can be centered. Might take some adjusting, but doable.

What I want is the insert for a three jaw chuck. It looks doable, but for the small sizes I need, it will be sorta flimsy. I'm still studying on how small I can get and it hold up.

Bottom line, make what you need out of a piece of pipe and some set screws. As long as the set screws meet in the middle it will do the job. When you get a dividing head, make a pretty one. If you ever do, those things are 'spensive,
Bill Hudson​
Is this what you're talking about? https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidpbest/albums/72157688130985745

Not exactly, but it's worth looking into. I saved the link and will dig deeper when I'm awake. What I was referring to is a block that sits between the jaws. I saw it on somebody's web site, it's not original thought. The problem I have is using too large a chuck (4") for too small work. (<1/2") There's no room for an inside clearance hole. I tried to link to it, but wasn't watching what I was doing and lost my place. Oh well, I'll try again when I wake up.

Something like this?

20161116_163051001.jpeg

Last edited:
I, like David, thought he was talking about an outboard spindle spider. ?????? If so, you don't need a rotary table.

Yes, I’m absolutely talking about an outboard spider to stick in the spindle. I was just trying to figure out how to make the 4 bolts that go into the spider to be uniformly spaced without using a dividing head. I’m supposing a flexible ruler would also work . By the way, where does everyone purchase those brass tipped socket head screws that go into the spider?

I do see quite a few of these dividing heads on eBay, there obviously from China, was wondering if anyone can comment on the quality?

You can make the brass tipped socket screws. Drill the end of the screw, and thread or epoxy a round head brass screw into the end.

Back