WTK Power feed choices for the PM835s

chiroone

Registered
Registered
OK, now I have 835 and finding out what a joy it is to turn the X axis crank hundreds of times to get it to go from One Direction to the other, I have come to the conclusion that I need a power fed for at least that axis and quite possibly the Y. Looking for some choices I want to buy it, I see several on eBay. From the Align brand at about $350 to this one below for about $170. The former obviously being made in Taiwan, and the latter China. Anybody have any advice on either of these or any other one that might fit the bill?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-AXIS-POW...819884?hash=item2cb76b3e6c:g:gkMAAOSw1LRZsggn

Last edited:
I too am interested in hearing if anyone has feedback on the cheaper chinese power feeds.
One thing I noticed with your link was the seller rating of 96.6%. I never buy from someone with less than 98% and try to shoot for 99%+.

Edit:
I'm sure that you know that Matt sells power feeds for about $270 or so. Only $100 more than the Chinese one you listed.

Last edited:
The one that Matt sells is also made in China; the ALSGS brand, if I am not much mistaken. He tells me they may sell the Tawian made Align some time soon. Not sure it the extra $$ is worth it. Any feedback from our crew here would be appreciated

You are comparing units with different specifications and also need to consider if they will fit your mill as a bolt on unit. The Align is rated at 780 in/lb vs. the one you show is 135 in/lb. A few individuals have switched to the Align power feeds to get better low speed capability, see post below where Alan replaced his PM Chinese drive with the Align and felt it was noticeably better. I have the Align drives on both the X and Z drives they perform very well over a wide speed range. Bill has the unit that looks the same as the one in your link and has been happy with his. They will all work, so it comes down to function, parts and service. At least if you get a drive from QMT/Matt parts should be available if needed or the unit fails. My understanding is that QMT/Matt at one time did stock Align drives but seems like most individuals buy the cheapest units possible. He is looking into getting the Align units back into stock.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/power-feed-table-travel-speed-on-a-mill.64888/#post-540906
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm935-z-axis-power-feed-photos.65011/#post-541132
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/received-my-pm949-and-pm1340gt.59421/page-2#post-560090

I find the Align drives to be very powerful and able to run at low speeds, I also like that the switch gear is all metal as opposed to plastic/rubber covers on the switches that fall apart. They use a handle for engagement (which to me is more preferable) and the speed adjustment is built into the handle cap so I can adjust the speed with my hand on the lever as well as hit the high speed button without moving my hand. My drives stay on all the time, they and my DRO are powered through a receptacle that is tied into the machines main power switch.
align.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Mark (even though its not my thread;)

The one that Matt sells is also made in China; the ALSGS brand, if I am not much mistaken. He tells me they may sell the Tawian made Align some time soon. Not sure it the extra $$ is worth it. Any feedback from our crew here would be appreciated

I have two of the older PFs that Matt sold a while back (X and Z) on my 935. Mine have a switch instead of the lever. I would prefer the lever, but as mine seem to be doing fine for me I have no reason to spend the extra money to change them. YMMV... :)

Thank you for the advice. I think I’m going to probably stick with the Align power feed. I see there are vendors on eBay that have them for around $320 which seems like an extremely good price.

I’m also thinking I also should get a DRO either after or before the power feed as it’s getting rather tiring counting revolutions of the crank and counting the indicating numbers on the dial. Has anyone here actually installed one on their machine have a good recommendation?

Has anybody here measured the X, Y and Z axis travel on the 835? I suppose it’s an easy enough thing to do. Just been so busy lately I haven’t got time to really get to know the machine

Back