WTK so do I go bigger or better equipped?

I learned the hard way: "Buy it cheap, buy it twice. Buy it right, buy it once." And there are two ways to make the mistake of buying 'cheap'. One way is too low a capacity on a reasonably decent machine (new or used); the other is buying a heavier duty machine that is worn out.

I live on a farm, have built a few street rods, and have developed an interest in machining. In every instance - tractors, cars, machines, and tools of all sorts - in my experience, it's rare to enter into a new endeavor knowing what you'll want a year or two later (sometimes, a month or two later). It's just about a near certainty that as a novice you won't appreciate how much you'll want the extra size/weight/capacity/etc. once you've gained some experience. A little bit of practice and a normal learning curve, and you'll wish you went with the heavier duty option. Bells and whistles, like power feed, DRO, etc. can always be added.

Regards,
Terry

Both. Bigger/Heavier and Better Equipped to the extent possible -within the class of parts you intend to make.

+1 on the suggestions of Precision Matthews.

They make bridgeports not much larger than that Rong Fu... and you will get way more capability. I have seen 8x36 bridgeports and with a good axis summing DRO, you wont want for a better machine, just a larger one later. Tooling and vises are not cheap. Good luck Tim

They make bridgeports not much larger than that Rong Fu... and you will get way more capability. I have seen 8x36 bridgeports and with a good axis summing DRO, you wont want for a better machine, just a larger one later. Tooling and vises are not cheap. Good luck Tim
I totally agreed. Sure bigger is better. That said... some of us don’t live on the East Coast where the manufacturing base makes selection of machines wide and easy. Living in New Orleans, I just don’t see many Bridgeports show up on the second hand market. We do see a some big oil field and ship repair machinery.... huge lathes and such. Anyway not a lot to choose from.
I was only commenting on the Asian mills to the O P’s question. That said, my RF 45 has served me well. It got me in the game and for a learning tool I have no complaints. I did locate a larger mill. It’s not a full size Bridgeport.... more like a 3/4 size.... it’s a Burke Millrite. But even it was to big for the size of my makeshift workshop.
I had to drive 200 miles to get it and then drive 200 miles back home. And it’s been in storage. I can’t wait till I finish building my workshop with a concrete floor. Then I’ll move on up to it. Since it’s also an R8 spindle arbor tooling purchased to date wasn’t money waisted.

Back