WTK so do I go bigger or better equipped?

chiroone

Registered
Registered
I am in the market for a vertical mill. My budget will allow me to get a PM 727 fully equipped with the DRO all possible options as well as a full complement of tooling or, I can get a PM932 with just a stand, power X feed and a power head but then I’ll have to wait to add a DRO as well as some other tooling. Does anyone have any advice the best way to go? I’m also wondering if I should consider one of the grizzly machines of the same or similar size. Not sure who makes the best machine so I can keep it around 3K. If anyone has any other models or ideas, any help would be appreciated

With that budget I would look for a good used Bridge port..

BTW Hi neighbor

Greetings, thanks for the info, but Bridge Port out of the question, WAAAY too big, may need parts that are not available, may be worn out, too heavy too move and just over kill. I am just a hobbyist, I have been looking for older and smaller American machines, but no luck, so Asian iron seems to only choice

If it were me and I just needed and wanted a benchtop mill I'd call Matt...
I believe his customer service speaks volumes.
Heck he even tried to help me with part on my auction bought Birmingham.

Greetings, thanks for the info, but Bridge Port out of the question, WAAAY too big, may need parts that are not available, may be worn out, too heavy too move and just over kill. I am just a hobbyist, I have been looking for older and smaller American machines, but no luck, so Asian iron seems to only choice

Everybody starts out as a Hobbyist except us guys that worked the shop their whole life. When you drop 3K on a mill, you'll soon find that you should have bought the bigger Bridgeport. Hardinge took over Bridgeport and all parts are available for them.

I am in the market for a vertical mill. My budget will allow me to get a PM 727 fully equipped with the DRO all possible options as well as a full complement of tooling or, I can get a PM932 with just a stand, power X feed and a power head but then I’ll have to wait to add a DRO as well as some other tooling. Does anyone have any advice the best way to go? I’m also wondering if I should consider one of the grizzly machines of the same or similar size. Not sure who makes the best machine so I can keep it around 3K. If anyone has any other models or ideas, any help would be appreciated

There are those of us who have no need/use for a old BP, but we're rare. ;)

The only suggestion I will make here is that you buy the highest quality machine you can afford first. Then save your pennies for the extras.

Buying a cheap(er) machine just to get a cheap DRO or power feed with the package means you ended up with a lower quality machine you may or may not regret in the future. Think Taiwan made if you can afford it. Just my $0.02 :D

Buy the biggest heaviest machine that you have space for even if you have to sacrifice power 'this and that' or DROs. THis and that and DROs can be added later, strength and stiffness cannot.

From my experience with Matt, both machines are of equal quality. Unless you need the (slightly) larger machine, go with the bells and whistles on the smaller one. In life (working life) I ran mills ranging from low end Indexes to 16 foot stroke planers, with a couple of Mazaks in between In Hobby Life, my PM25 is adequate.

The Rung Fu Clones are nice machines IMO. They have enough mass to do some decent cuts and weighing @ 750 lbs... They can be fairly easily moved when you break them down...IE... remove the head and table and now each chunk is about 200-250lbs The RF 45 is what I have and even though mine is old and has some wear... It still performs well.
I have the Top Tech DM 45 from Penn Tools. http://www.penntoolco.com/dm-45pf/

I don't know these machines at all so I will not comment on that. I second the idea to buy the biggest, heaviest machine that will fit in your space.
Avoiding chatter, having enough space to add a rotary table or indexer is priceless. Not having enough room on the machine is a project killer.
I have used mills with DROs and power feeds. Its nice and my boss appreciates that I can work faster with them. At home my mill has neither and it doesn't bother me to count turns, take the time to blue and make layouts on parts. Its an old school way of working and it seems fitting to me. Given my mill was manufactured the same year I was born and both of us are nearly ready to collect SS.

Back