[4]

X Axis Direction ???

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Scruffy

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Just got my 9-j hooked up today. I think my x axis is reversed? Because of the stop dogs is this possible?

Scruffy

Active User
X axis direction?

Got my 9-j wired up and running today but it seems that the x axis power feed is running backward because of the stop dogs. Is this possible? What's the cure ??
Thanks scruff

PurpLev

Active User
not familiar with that machine, but does it possibly have a tumbler reverse switch for the feed?

I will take this one step further - are you sure the motor turns in the 'right' direction (spindle is turning CCW)?

Scruffy

Active User
That helps some!! With my forward -reverse spindle switch in forward the spindle turns clockwise. If in reverse position it turns cc clockwise. The previous owner replaced the reversing switch. If I run the spindle in reverse the table feeds in the right direction. I kinda. Think I have the motor wired wrong and the previous owner wired the reversing switch backward!!! Hope this helps explain. What's going on

Scruffy not sparky

PurpLev

Active User
That helps some!! With my forward -reverse spindle switch in forward the spindle turns clockwise. If in reverse position it turns cc clockwise. The previous owner replaced the reversing switch. If I run the spindle in reverse the table feeds in the right direction. I kinda. Think I have the motor wired wrong and the previous owner wired the reversing switch backward!!! Hope this helps explain. What's going on

Scruffy not sparky
yup. that's what it seems to be.

when the spindle turns CCW, the carriage feed should be right --> left.

sounds like the motor/FWD-REV switch are wired in reverse. reverse wires, and it should clear the problem.

Scruffy

Active User
When the spindle is turning ccw should the forward switch say forward or reverse ?
Thanks scruffy

stevecmo

Active User
Ummm.......I think a little clarification might be in order here. Since I'm not familiar with what a 9-J is, it would help to know whether it is a lathe or a mill. I think from Sruffy's posts referencing the "table" it is probably a mill.

From PurpleLev's posts I believe he is under the impression that it's a lathe.

Makes a big difference when you're talking spindle direction, etc.

Can you tell us exactly what machine you have so we can hopefully help?

Steve

Scruffy

Active User
9-j. Gorton milling machine

Scruffy

Active User
Problems solved!!!

Reversed motor that made table feed right

Switched wires in spindle reversing switch

Everything is right now switch says forward and spindle is turning cw and table feeds right

Thanks for all the knowledge and help

Scruffy

4GSR

Iron
Former Member
Scruffy,

Something does not sound right.

The way the 9-J's are wired up, the feed motor is not wired up to the spindle switch. It should be a separate connection and switch. The feed motor should be turning the same direction regardless the direction of the spindle motor.

I know the 9-J's are a very complicated nightmare of contactors, interlocks, and wiring for the old two speed motors, but the feed motor always had its own contactor/starter. Sounds like someone took the easy way out and rewired the mill using only one of the speeds on the spindle motor and tied in the feed motor to the spindle motor, so it runs when the spindle motor runs.

Is this what it getting out of this?

Scruffy

Active User
No the feed drives do not run with spindle

When I hooked up roc I had 2 wires switched causing feeds to be reversed

I switched 2 of the 3 feeds power feeds going right direction now

Previous owner had replaced spindle reversing switch.

I switched 2 wires in reversing switch. Now every thing works as it should

Thanks scruffy. Btw. It is a beast

[6]
[5] [7]