X-axis (NO) T-slot help needed

Suzuki4evr

Registered
Registered
I need to install my new x-axis power feed soon,but I have a problem. Where the
T-slot should be on my knee mill,there is a piece of regtangular bar of 20mm×10mm bolted in a 20mm×10mm slot with 3 countersink hex bolts.
20191120_092612.jpg

20191120_094423.jpg

20191120_092816.jpg
Well there isn't a way I can use the powerfeed end stops as it is now,because it works with the T-lock.

I have an idea to take a wider bar on the 10mm side enough to accommodate the T and slot it for the stops to fit and bolt it to the table in the same manner as before. In other words the bar would be protruding out a bit.

My question to you is: Does someone have a better or easier way to do this?

Thanks
Michael

Just don't use the end stops, I just don't install them. I've not used any of mine in the last 40 years. But it does require a little more attention.

Just don't use the end stops, I just don't install them. I've not used any of mine in the last 40 years. But it does require a little more attention.
I did receive my DRO this Thursday that past,still need to install it,I guess it would help,but I like to use a feature or function or whatever if it is there to help operation.

Installing with a DRO really creates a conflict because you want to install the DRO scale on the front of the table where the stop would normally go. A lot of people install the DRO scale on the back of the tabel........ Bad idea, this limits your Y travel.

The only reason for the stops is to shut off the power feed in case you are not paying attention, it's just a travel limit, has nothing to do with machining functionality.

That is what I was planning. ...to put it at the back. So I purchased my scale accordingly I will only lose about 22mm travel,wich is not that much. Maybe I made a mistake by purchasing a tad too short scale,but there is nothing to be done about that now. I will have to learn to live with that for now. Maybe if finances allows it in the future, I will purchase a longer scale and move it to the front,but for now it will have to do.

Not sure why the length of the scale would make a difference for the mounting position. The table is the same length front and back. :) If the scale travel length matches the table travel then you should be fine. The scale is normally not centered on the table, but rather is offset one way or the other to line up the read head with the center of travel no matter where the read head mounted.

If I mount the x-axis scale at the back it takes up about 22mm and therefore my y-axis scale was orderder shorter 250mm instead of 300mm. My Y-travel is 260mm.

If I mount the x-axis scale at the back it takes up about 22mm and therefore my y-axis scale was orderder shorter 250mm instead of 300mm. My Y-travel is 260mm.

Ahhhh, I see the problem. In that case I think I would mount a 22mm stop block on the back of the saddle to prevent over traveling the Y. I have seen some machines with a stop bolt installed into the saddle.

Hi Michael,

My first thought is to mount a piece of aluminum t-slot extrusion into that slot to give you a t-slot.
It is often used for wood-working fixtures and jigs.

Lee Valley tools has one that fits in a 3/8" x 3/4" slot:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...rts/61986-veritas-t-slot-tracks-1-4-20-thread

and one that fits in a 7/16" x 7/8" slot:
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...ts/61646-veritas-t-slot-tracks-5-16-18-thread

Since 3/4" ~= 19mm that makes the most sense.
If it's only used for limit switches for the power feed that aluminum track should be strong enough.
They also sell the t-nuts for those tracks.

I have seen them at other wood-working stores too (Busy Bee here in Canada).

-brino

Back