X axis on a G0704

Gman45acp

Active User
Registered
I am setting up a used G0704 and while squaring the vise to the table along the X axis with a indicator touching the back of the vise I am getting .0015 movement on the Y axis as the vises moves along the indicator. Any idea what might cause this

gman45acp

Either the vice is not square with the table, the Y gib is loose, or there is a lot of backlash in the Y leadscrew.

Try locking the Y axis when you are indicating the vice. If that stops the movement then it time to take a look at the Y axis. If not, then the vice is out of square with the table travel. If you are relying on keys attached to the base of the vice for precise alignment, just remove them and then dial the vice in.

I am setting up a used G0704 and while squaring the vise to the table along the X axis with a indicator touching the back of the vise I am getting .0015 movement on the Y axis as the vises moves along the indicator. Any idea what might cause this

gman45acp

You say "with a indicator touching the back of the vise". Where are you indicating, exactly? Is it a milled/ground surface? Is it a continuously increasing or decreasing displacement on the indicator?

Bill

We need a bit more clarification on the process you are following.

the correct way to zero a vise:
1. align the vise square to the table slots as close as you can,
2. tighten down the right bolt, gently snug the left bolt
3. Starting with a DTI in a holder attached to the quill at the right side of the vise, with the DTI riding on the inner face of the FIXED jaw of the vise
4. Move the X axis so the DTI sweeps the vise to the left side of the vise
5. tap the vise gently with a plastic hammer until the error on the DTI reached zero. It is common to have 0.030" or more error in alignment at this point.
6. Repeat the process until you are within 0.002".

is that what you are doing?
The slots on the table don't actually have to be squarely aligned. You align the vise to the quill and the travel of the table, not the slots in the table.

You must be using the fixed jaw of the vise for alignment.

I am getting .0015 movement on the Y axis as the vises moves along the indicator

EDIT: i misread your post, thinking you were talking about 15 thousandths variation (0.015").

If you are talking about 1.5 thousandths of an inch (0.0015") than you are done. You can dial it in closer (I can get it to less than 0.001), but it is really kind of a waste of time. The mill will deflect at least that much during normal operation. If your operation requires you to be accurate within 0.001", than you are using the wrong machine (surface grinder will get you within 0.0002" without much effort)

Last edited:
I aint a big fan of locating keys on my vice. They are fine if they are on the money and a huge pain if they are not.

I aint a big fan of locating keys on my vice. They are fine if they are on the money and a huge pain if they are not.

+1 here. I snug down one side, run the dial back and forth a few times and I'm done. Usually within a couple minutes or so.

Bill

Thanks for the replays.. I have the vice square with the quill. As I run the di across the ground fixed jaw of the vice the di deflects + and - from one half to three quartersof a thousands as I am turning the handle of the x axis. Is that normally for a grizzly mill?

Thanks

I have a repeatable .0005 bulge in the center of my fixed jaw on an import vise. I was getting all concerned and started thinking of how I'm going to fix it, when I stopped at thought about how small that is, regardless of how much deviation I see on a super accurate di. So I set my calipers to a half thou and tried to see the huge gap I was envisioning. I very quickly started laughing and promptly lost all concern about that 'huge' bulge in my fixed jaw. Seriously? I doubt the specs on my import vise are any better than what I'm seeing.

What make is your vise?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replays.. I have the vice square with the quill. As I run the di across the ground fixed jaw of the vice the di deflects + and - from one half to three quartersof a thousands as I am turning the handle of the x axis. Is that normally for a grizzly mill?

So what you are saying is that if you dial in your vise, so both ends are at 0.0000" relative to each other with the DTI, you are seeing a bulge (like miller said) in the middle of the vise as you run the DTI down it? Or do you think the table is shifting during travel, making the DTI oscillate?

Either way, 0.00075" is way beyond the accuracy you should expect from the machine. A good quality bridgeport, a much larger more capable mill, is generally only considered good for an accuracy of 0.002". Yes, I know you can get better (and I have), but it requires a care and feeding beyond what is reasonable.

Back