• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

X-axis Power Drive

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Hawkeye

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Even though I haven't been to work since I broke my shoulder in July, the boss sent me a good bonus with his Christmas card. When I was trying to decide what to use it for, I remembered that I would like to add a power drive to my mill/drill's X-axis. I ordered one off eBay and it arrived in only about a week. Since the eBay listing doesn't say which machines it will fit, I ended up with the wrong one. Good thing I have a machine shop.

If I adapted the drive to fit on the leadscrew, I would have lost 6 or 7 inches of travel. Here's the original arrangement.
PC300172a.jpg

I made up an extension mount to give back the travel I would have lost.
P1010177a.jpg

And a shaft extension. Trial fitting the Woodruff key after cutting the slot.
P1020181a.jpg

Almost done.
P1030183a.jpg

Then, an adapter sleeve to mount the original dial.
P1030184a.jpg

I haven't used it much yet. I'm really looking forward to not having to turn the crank on long cuts.

calstar

Active User
Really nice work! How do you like its operation? Brian

Hawkeye

Active User
I use it all the time. It will turn slowly enough to give a good finish. I have to remember to release the X-axis locks because it has enough torque to move the table with the locks on. The rapid over-ride can move the table faster than I can crank by hand.

[6]
[5] [7]