X axis power feed for 6x26 knee mill

Your welcome.
I put it all out there because there is very little up to date info on this for a HF626 knee mill.

Your welcome.
I put it all out there because there is very little up to date info on this for a HF626 knee mill.
You are very right on that. I had looked 6 months ago and couldn't find a whole lot. Lots of info about Bridgeports and a bunch about smaller mills and mill/drills, but nothing about the 6x26.

I was just thinking....
I'll upload a pdf of the 3D cad drawing of the aluminum trim ring tomorrow late morning. It's probably the most important detail of the install. I spent the most time thinking about. LOL.

Here is the aluminum Trim Ring Drawing I created.

Attachments

• Power Feed Trim Ring - Sheet1.pdf
    33.7 KB · Views: 79
I just got a piece of 3.25" round aluminum in a protopack. Just a tiny bit too small according to the drawing. I may have to make adjustments.

I based the outside diameter on 3/16" larger than the power feed housing diameter. So check your housing.

Project is coming along nicely. Had to make a cutter for the keyway in the gear. Tried to use a 3/16 HSS lathe bit to cut it but there was too much flex in it and it wasn't long enough. Ended up with a T shaped cutter that zipped right through it. I wouldn't want to use it on steel, but it worked fine on brass.

Working on the trim ring now, since it will be visible I am striving for a good surface finish so I am not rushing it.

Great to hear! I used a 11/16" wide parting tool blade. Ground it to size. Worked well but like you said it would be a bear in steel. I thought about having the ring anodized... maybe in the future.

Nice job. I had to make a Aluminum block to mount the limit switch. Spaced the block about 1/16 from the table for clearance.

Back