X-ray Of A Impact Driver

Eddyde

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi All,
My day job is a general contractor, I am currently building a Veterinary Hospital. Today was the X-Ray machine installation, it wasn't easy as there were conflicts between the the specifications/requirements several layers of subcontractors and state code, but after 12 hrs. we finally got it in and working. One of the test subjects, my Milwaukee M18 Impact driver.Impact Driver.jpg

That's a hundred dollar picture around here. Can't believe what Xrays cost, must be running low.

Yeah, the HVAC mechanic got a free X-Ray of his wrist that had been hurting him, he doesn't have insurance.

There is a huge difference between actual cost and retail price. Now that x-ray machines have gone digital, the largest expense is the operator's time.

Even back when they were still using film, the cost was minimal. When I was working for a medical device company, we used to have one of our products scanned in a ct scanner. We got the imaging done "at cost" because of the relationship we had with the university hospital. As I recall, when we were using the facilities in radiation therapy, the cost was about $100 per scan. Later on, we had to have the imaging done at the university vet school and the cost was about $35.

There is a huge difference between actual cost and retail price. Now that x-ray machines have gone digital, the largest expense is the operator's time.

Even back when they were still using film, the cost was minimal. When I was working for a medical device company, we used to have one of our products scanned in a ct scanner. We got the imaging done "at cost" because of the relationship we had with the university hospital. As I recall, when we were using the facilities in radiation therapy, the cost was about $100 per scan. Later on, we had to have the imaging done at the university vet school and the cost was about $35.
Yes the digital imaging does reduce the unit cost but there is a large up front investment in the equipment and infrastructure to consider. The cost to build the X-Ray room was at least $30K and the equipment was about $60k. We also had to hire a Physicist to do the calculations for the shielding requirements. Add in the Architects and Engineers cut and it's about $100K all in.

A friend recently had some x-rays. Nothing fancy, just simple x-rays. About $500. At that rate, it doesn't take long to pay back the $100K investment. What is interesting is if I go to the chiropractor, my cost is about $25 per x-ray.

Back