X2 CNC Conversion

Shipping is $145? :nuts:

Just think of it as $466 delivered to your door from China. :))

Pretty reasonable for a four axis driver board, power supply and four big NEMA-34 878 oz stepper motors.

M

yes that is not bad.. I paid 378 for four 23's (425's) and the controllers.. and a piece of junk breakout board..

If you have any trouble with the TB6560 board there is a thread on it over on the zone. Some people are getting good results with it and some not. I am pretty sure 878 oz/in is overkill as they probably would run the 45 just fine. Alot of good information on the x2 retro here http://www.hossmachine.info/cnc_conversion.html

He used 381 oz.in steppers and he has basically posted a step by step walk thru of the whole process. Lots of drawings with measurements as well. Might be worth a look.

I went with 381's from Keling for my router and the numbers look alot different on the Inductance. Apparently Inductance along with Voltage gives a motor power output formula. From the Gecko site:

The motor power output (speed times torque) is determined by the power supply voltage and
the motor’s inductance. The motor’s output power is proportional to the power supply voltage divided
by the square root of the motor inductance.

The 878 math is Motor inductance (15 square root is 3.872) Going to use Stepper rated voltage of 6.4 first = 1.653 Using the 24 Volt PS = 6.198
On the Keling 381 inductance is 2.8( Square root is 1.673) Stepper Rated Voltage is 2.55 first = 1.524 Using the 48 Volt PS = 28.69

Gecko says this is a Power output number and alot of guys say that Voltage is speed, from the math it looks like it is power too. I think the high inductance number is why some of the import steppers get a bad rap.

The resistance numbers are alot different as well and I bet that will be shown as heat.

I placed my order last week for Keling equipment and it came up to $506 shipped, Ordered Monday and had it Thursday. I spent an extra $100 on a breakout board upgrade, C11 , the c10 is less than $30 so you could take $100 off the total. 48 Volt PS 7.3 amps, KL6050 drivers for the 48 Volt PS, 381 3.5 amp steppers, C11 board.

From Gecko's numbers the motor power output should be 4 almost 5 times higher, but this is just for a router.

Please don't take this the wrong way as I have always wondered why some of the import steppers get bashed on some of the forums. I had chalked it up to pros, the support locals, and people in general not wanting to buy overseas. I buy from China on a weekly basis. Proximity switches are on the boat, I hope I hope. I took a look at your post, followed the link and wanted to see where the difference was. I think I learned alot from doing some reading and some googling. I hope I have read things right, maybe the more experienced guys can chime in if my logic is flawed.

I had almost ordered a kit much like yours Friday or Saturday night and decided I wanted to start adding things to the cart and see what the cost difference was. It was close enough to buy on this side of the pond and be able to call and ***** if something didn't work. We all like to be able to do that right???

I fell into, and I really mean FELL into a hell of a deal on a CNC router needing new electronics. 4X5+ table with router for less than $350. DAMN craigslist!! Figured I wanted to retro and had the money and time to run with it.

I will be making a thread about it as well as this is my first project under cnc control. I know I will have LOTS of questions.

Chris

Yesterday, I got the cables soldered up for the motors and connected the system to the computer. I followed the setup video, but couldn't get the motors to move. For that matter, the G-code file I typed in wouldn't run after the third line. The first two lines were setup info. The third line was the first command line and the DROs wouldn't advance. I tried changing motor and port settings all evenings, but nothing helped.

This morning, I booted up the system and checked the syntax in the file again. Nothing looked out of place, so I hit Run. It Ran. I guess it just needed the old Microsoft solution - reboot and try again.

More time on motor tuning got them running smoothly. I can set the feedrate from 25 IPM down to 5 and get smooth operation from the motors, but any faster, including a G0 command (rapid traverse) and the motors may not even move.

I've tried opening dxf files in Lazycam, but they always end up empty. Still working on the learning curve.

You may play with your acceleration, Sometimes that is what is keeping you from achieving higher feed rates. 25IPM is plenty fast for cutting, but you're probably gonna want faster rapids. Sounds like you are making good progress though.

good deal mike
the motors not running the first time always happens after the install and setup you have to power down and restart.
i forget everytime. what do you have your micro steps set to on the board and amp setting?
also if your mach3 is demo you cant set kernel speed over 25000hz.
if you would like some help pm me and i'll give you my phone number it's easier.
steve

I found this thread on CNCZone, dealing with the control board I'm using.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/general_electronics_discussion/110986-how_i_fixed_my_chinese.html

This guy went to all the trouble of drawing up a schematic by reverse engineering from his board. He found a couple of design errors and documents how he fixed them. This was done about two years ago. I need to go over my board and see if the manufacturers ever fixed it. There's no version or revision number showing on the boards.

I picked up a 12x12x4 junction box at the wholesaler today. This will have enough room to mount the power supply, control board, a 5" cooling fan, and an E-stop and power switch.

i have purchased and installed 1. 3axis and 2. 4 axis tb6560 boards without a problem.
steve

The pendant arrived today. No 'manual' of any kind. Steve, your comment on setting the hotkeys got it going. Thanks.

I called FedEx today and asked them to hold my ballscrews for pickup tomorrow. Things are really coming together.

Looking forward to seeing it all in action.. got a message today that my motors and controllers are in route!

Back