[4]

X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MGP

Active User
Registered
thats great
we need parts for the mill to arrive
have fun run some g-code watch the motors and keep me posted or ask anything you may run across
pm me when you are ready to start on the mill itself
steve
Parts for mill are in route!

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
i was just thinking it would be good to post your expenses to date and maybe your parts list so far if you find time mike cost is a factor everyone likes to know. at lot of people think price is so high they wont think about doing what you are.
steve

MGP

Active User
Registered
i was just thinking it would be good to post your expenses to date and maybe your parts list so far if you find time mike cost is a factor everyone likes to know. at lot of people think price is so high they wont think about doing what you are.
steve
Great idea! Will do

MGP

Active User
Registered
Here is a break down of the parts to get an X2 mill converted to CNC
All prices include Shipping

Power Supply,Stepper Motors,Drivers $384.99
5Axis CNC Interface Breakout Board V5type/Mach $26.99
Shielded Wire for wiring inside case 2ft $24
Non Sheilded wire for motor cables 2ft $21
E-Stop Switch , 6 Limit Switches , 3 Motor Connectors , 110V Power Switch $90
Misc connectors, heatshrink, wireties, ETC $60
CNC Fusion Kit 4 with Upgrde kit for larger X-Y Table $646
LMS Large X-Y Table (optional) $356
Controll Case used old computer tower. FREE
Total $1609.00

If you are starting out i would bye the LMS High Torque X2 Mill it has a high torque motor and the larger X-Y Table so that will keep cost down a bit because your standard X2 mil is $600 and the LMS mill with the bigger table and high torque motor is $789.

So if you bought the LMS Mill total would be $2050
If you bye the standard X2 Mill your looking at $2210 with larger table upgrade but if the standard x2 will do you can get it all done for $1855 not to bad to get into CNC:)

MGP

Active User
Registered
Just received my CNC Fusion kit and it is sweet I will have larger X-Y table on Thursday so I will post pics of that with the motors mounted and maybe a video

jumps4

Global Moderator
oh boy new toys lol
looks nice
steve

clearcaseman

Active User
Registered
very sweet. I look forward to seeing this complete. when business gets better I would like to convert one of my 7x10's and my x2 to cnc. it would make my ar15 project go so much faster.

MGP

Active User
Registered
X-Y Done except for limit switches. The table is the LMS Mini Mill Large Table Assembly part#3677 and everthing went together and fit perfectly:)
IMG_0295.jpg

Click on pic for short video.

th_IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

th_IMG_0296.jpg

Last edited:

jumps4

Global Moderator
that looks good how does it run?
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
looks and sounds good i think we set the speed just about perfect
when will you have the rest of the mill?
steve

MGP

Active User
Registered
looks and sounds good i think we set the speed just about perfect
when will you have the rest of the mill?
steve
I have to move it downstairs for now until i get the garage all setup and cleaned out which wont be for a while, but im hoping to get it all setup downstairs by next week.I have to go get the colum and head asy and mount the Z axis to it and then we will mount the limit swithes . I have 11.8" travel on X and 5.1" on Y

jumps4

Global Moderator
you may want to figure out the limit switches before mounting the z so it's east to move around. have you seen any good x2 limit installs online. i'll look also.
unless your going to use this mill to make the limit switch parts
we still have to check for accuracy with a dial indicator before using it.
steve

MGP

Active User
Registered
you may want to figure out the limit switches before mounting the z so it's east to move around. have you seen any good x2 limit installs online. i'll look also.
unless your going to use this mill to make the limit switch parts
we still have to check for accuracy with a dial indicator before using it.
steve

Thats what i am going to do just looking now how im going to mount them and where.

jumps4

Global Moderator
ok i'll look too
i know you said no flood cooling but they need protection
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
one thing to know is it will not harm the machine to hit the end of travel with a stepper motor if you make a mistake.( you will have to rezero your parts location though ) it will not hurt the stepper and if your machine has hard stops (and it looks like it does, the motor mounts) it will not harm the machine.
so you can wait and use your mill to make the switch parts after your up and running as your first project.
just a thought and you will have a better idea where the swarf will be landing and clearance issues
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
mgp
if you get caught up and bored i'd like to try some different settings just for general knowledge
it will give me more knowledge on what those drivers will do they are very popular and sold under a lot of different brands. thats if you have the time. we can make a new mill profile in mach3 loader so we dont change your setup and delete it when we are done.
steve

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
MGP: I live in Naugatuck, right down the road. So if you need a little moral support or another brain to put on the project let me know. I'd be more than willing to take a ride up to give you a hand. I'm no cnc magician but I'm damn good at reading wiring schematics and doing the mechanicals. I also have a Bridgeport and a lathe if you need to make or alter a few parts. :))

Send me a PM if your interested.

Marcel

jumps4

Global Moderator
you have me on that question i need to know this myself soon?
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
i'll probably use synthetic gear oil 90#
i use it to lube everything it stays on the ways and seems to be holding up fine in my exposed lathe gears
and a quart squeeze bottle is cheap
steve

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
Any oil is better than no oil. But way oil is formulated to not attract dust so much so see if you can get your hands on some.

jumps4

Global Moderator
could not sleep so i thought i would comment about the z axis. it will be handy to know the weight of the head itself less the column. we may have to add lift cylinders or a counter weight to the head to get the required speed and power out of the stepper motor. I would prefer to have as much mass to the head as possible to keep down chatter. with a dovetail column the weight of the head and the tension on the dovetail help improve rigidity but since we want to move this fast the dovetail is not really as tight as it can be for manual adjustment. that is why a knee mill is more desirable than a dovetail column. the head is solid and the screw holding up the knee is directly under the spindle. plus the damn thing weighs more than a ton lol. so the velocity and acceleration for the z axis is not going to be near that of the x and y.the stepper motors loose torgue as rpm goes up and we need a slower acceleration to get the head moving up to speed its dead weight straight up pull with add resistance of the dovetails. x and y simply slide with dovetail friction and cutter force. so if mach3 is set to accelerate too fast it will miss steps and not know it, due to no feedback from stepper motors unlike servo motors with encoders. each missed step accumulates without mach3 knowing and pretty soon mach3 thinks the cutter is say an inch high over the table but in reality it is in the table. not good. trying to get too high of velocity same effect. if we find that z will lift too slow as dead weight then x an y will be waiting for z to complete its move before they move on slowing down the entire mill. thats when we add counter balance to speed up z's motion but only enough to reach a happy medium and maintain as much rigidity as possible.
sheeesh what a load of...
make any sence?
it's a lot simpler and faster to slide things than lift them
steve

jumps4

Global Moderator
if we determine we need to reduce the weight of the head. I would start with a counter weight system, it is easy to adjust the weight to find the sweet spot we are looking for. then it is simple to divide the weight in 2 and buy a lift cylinder for each side for half the weight from mcmastercarr or someone else. you dont have to put on cylinders the weight system can be hidden under or behind the mill and a cable used to keep down cost, it works just the same and there is no return shipping for getting the wrong one. so your probably thinking why weight the head if we are going to play with the weights. my reason is if we have chatter i want to know how close to zero weight we are. a feather blows all over, a brick wont budge. it's my meds....
steve

MGP

Active User
Registered
[5] [7]