X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

Check out the packages from Kelinginc. #2 is comparable in price to the second package you posted, but with larger steppers, and a beefier power supply. The drivers are also bipolar drivers vs the unipolar drivers from probotix. The Kelinginc kit does not come with a parallel port cable, but those can be had pretty cheap, especially if you have a local surplus electronic store. The probotix kit doesn't look that bad, but a 24V 6A supply seems underpowered for 3 steppers. Of course, I got the largest servos I Keling had when I did my conversion, so I may be guilty of overdesign...

http://kelinginc.com/CNCNEMA23Package3x.html

2: CNC 3 Axis Stepper Motor Kit with 425 oz-in motor and KL-4030
Bipolar Driver with 36V /9.7A Power Supply (110V/220VAC): $369

(3) 425 oz-in stepping motors, NEMA 23
(3) KL-4030 Drivers (3.0Amp 24-40 Volts, 1-1/64 microstepping)
(1) 36VDC/ 9.7A Power Supply 110VAC/220VAC
(1)C10 Breakout board
(1) 5V power supply

Will they build a ready to run setup with this kit? Thanks Mike

I may come across a bit overbearing but i dont mean to be
to explain mach3 is dependent on the computers internal clock and windows controls or at least affects the clock speed. it is not a set speed but shared between programs. that is why mach3 says to not run anything else when running mach3. the speed that mach3 can run stepper motors is very limited due to this. so the faster you try to move the motor the greater the chance the motor will miss steps. when steps are lost mach3 has no feedback from a stepper motor so the accuracy drops for every step missed without correction. that is the reason for wanting larger motors and faster ballscrews the motor requires less speed to travel the distance required using a slower clock speed. and that decreases the odds of missed steps. the problem is not mach3 but windows and the limited speed of the parallel port. the only way around this is to use a kflop or smooth stepper type of controller instead of a breakout board and printer cable. these cards are dedicated cpu cards with there own clocks they recieve only the gcode from mach3 and process all the step and direction signals internally windows cannot interfere or disrupt this signal ( you could play a video game while the program is running ) this all happens at speeds way faster letting you drive smaller steppers at higher speeds for gearing or pulleys to increase torque.
so my point was you save money if you go direct drive large motors and ball screws compared to small motors requiring belts pulleys and a smooth stepper to get any speed out of them without errors.
I hope that makes sense
steve

you will have to wire your own machine if you build it. the kits are just the parts I have seen prewired controllers but they still require you to wire limit switches and the motors and they are pricey
wiring is not really that hard it takes care and double checking but it's not really that complicated i have a good video i'll find you about wiring the motors and everything if you like
steve

i started with sherline mill and lathe
your x2 is a much better machine with more power a great way to get into cnc without breaking the bank

DIGI0071.JPG DIGI0074.JPG 11.jpg DIGI0081.JPG

you will have to wire your own machine if you build it. the kits are just the parts I have seen prewired controllers but they still require you to wire limit switches and the motors and they are pricey
wiring is not really that hard it takes care and double checking but it's not really that complicated i have a good video i'll find you about wiring the motors and everything if you like
steve

That would be great! How many limit swithes do i need im thinking 6? Thanks Mike

steve

How about this kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3Axis-Nema-...118?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e627474c6

yes 6 is normal 3 of them serve dual purpose as home switches
I'll start looking for the video it was pretty good
you will have to have a volt ohm meter but they are cheap
steve

here are the videos this guy at hoss machine is good and speaks in laymans terms
one thing that needs to be said is check the voltage from the power supply they are adjustable I would do it before wiring anything and set all the switches on the cards. wire the cards and double check everything again before powering up. the card settings I can help with once you have them and their data sheets
I'll go look at the ebay item you posted and shop a bit for you what is your limit on cost for a set including power supply, controller(s), breakout board and motors give me a max and i'll help you find the most for the money
steve

here are the videos this guy at hoss machine is good and speaks in laymans terms
one thing that needs to be said is check the voltage from the power supply they are adjustable I would do it before wiring anything and set all the switches on the cards. wire the cards and double check everything again before powering up. the card settings I can help with once you have them and their data sheets
I'll go look at the ebay item you posted and shop a bit for you what is your limit on cost for a set including power supply, controller(s), breakout board and motors give me a max and i'll help you find the most for the money
steve

I would like to stay around $300 max $400 Thanks Mike

Back