X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

bob
stepper motors are very different from dc mag motors and run on up to ten times the posted motor voltage further back in this thread i explain why.
for the controllers we are using he can go to 48v with no problems if he needs more power. ( he wont )
but that requires a different power supply.
the only 5v needed is for the breakout board and it is supplied from the computer with a usb cable.
steve

bob
the wiring from the breakout board to the motor controllers for the direction and pulse are 5v the controller then converts that signal at what ever microstep setting to power supply voltage/amperage for the motors.
steve

bob
stepper motors draw their highest amperage sitting still in the hold position so to start with the switch no. 4 is in half current right now to reduce motor heating. his motors are large for an x2 mill making this most likely to be all that is needed to stop drift while cutting. if the motor will not hold the cutter load the switch 4 can be set to full amp load. this is still not a problem if needed due to the fact if overheating happens the driver will drop out to protect the controller because it is set at 2.85 amps max.
he will not force an x2 mill to have that great of a cutter load due to the mills motor size.
steve

you asked about your plug from the old pc power supply
yes it is perfect we will wire directly to the power supply through a power switch you may still need to get to mount in the front of the enclosure for main power. the old pc switch in the pic is of no use to us.
steve

Ok can i get a switch from a local hardware store or home depot and if so what specs am i looking for?

yes the switch is 110v 15amp and lighted would be nice but not required because the fans will let you know its on.
steve

yes the switch is 110v 15amp and lighted would be nice but not required because the fans will let you know its on.
steve

Ok im going to solder the wire ends ill be back soon

dont forget pics
we love pics here
they help others
steve

leave the plug for now
did you wire all 3 controllers?
steve

where is the bare shield wire I dont see it in the picture?
also lets hook up the motor ends first, before hooking it to the controller and test with the ohm meter ok? ( your colors are correct on the controller )
you have your heat shrink right?
steve

Back