X2 Mini Mill CNC Conversion?

mgp
it would be better if everything is mounted to metal because the metal will be what all the shield wires ( bare wire ) connect to and the equipment ground will connect to it also ( the green wire from the power plug 110v connector )
the only thing that needs to be mounted on standoffs is the breakout board
the power supply and controllers mount to the metal plate
move the power supply and controllers to the far back of the case as possible the rear fan can be mounted outside if needed. we want the controllers back from the front fan. ( we dont want motor interference ) and thats why all wires inside the enclosure are shielded.
the fans do not have to be directly across from each other
the motor plugs should come out the back away from the fans
the parallel cable and usb cables should come out the back away from the power cord connection ( 110v ).
steve

steve

I wanted to mount everything on standoffs because of the bottom of the case is not flat and the standoffs will allow me to make everything fit nicely.
Now your saying move the power supply and controllers to the far back but i want to position the controllers so the fan blowing in blows over them correct? Like the drawing you posted? So the controllers the fan is blowing in and the fan next to the power supply is blowing out correct? Where can i get more standoffs?

Like this
DSC00436.jpg

and here is a pic of the motor with extension wires all done im going to get a longer piece of heat shrink to cover the wires all the down to the motors

DSC00437.jpg

This is how i have them positioned they are far back as possible is this ok? The terminal side of the power supply i was going to make that side of the enclosure the front where the power and e-stop switch will go?

DSC00436.jpg

DSC00437.jpg

that should be ok
mine the case is standing up like a pc and everything goes out the back
in the pic my pc is on the top the enclosure is the bottom one
steve

DIGI0017.JPG

in your pic I would move the controllers closer to the power supply and leave room for a 4th axis controller to the left of the other three later. It's kewl to watch a whole gear made without touching anything. this gear is 100 teeth and took this little sherline 18 hours but it came out perfect.

DIGI0074.JPG

Last edited:
Going to bed talk to you tomorrow. Thanks Mike

you asked me about the power switch yes 115v 15amp is fine and 2 terminals make sure its not a momentary switch
the standoffs most likely can be brass but without seeing the breakout board closer and making sure the mounting holes only have a ground connection....
the right way to build a board is the mounting holes are grounded so by faith alone i would say brass is fine. hold them to the board and make sure the diameter will not cross over into a circuit.
steve

Picked up a switch from Radio Shack its a rocker switch with an LED in it and says 16A 125VAC and it has three terminals on it two are silver and one is brass. The first two silver terminals are labelled 1 and 2 and the brass one say 3 + - . Sorry cant take a good pic of it. Will this work?

Back