Xalky's cnc plasma table build log.

I guess I mean to say I'm waiting for that Youtube video tour that shows all the interworkings of your beast. It looks like it's working well, I just need more details to borrow from you.

George
I'm gonna be doing a video(s) on the plasma table. I did a lot of research when I was planning the build, but heck If I can remember everything I learned 5 yrs ago. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze all the info in a single video. I'll have to focus on one section at a time. I'll start with the table and work my way up to the y axis, then the z axis, and then the z axis. The controls are not my strong suit but I should be able to at least direct you guys to the info. This table works beyond all my expectations. I'm gonna tell you guys that the plasma cutter you choose is gonna make this a joy to use or a major PITA. Hint: forget about using the cheapest chinese plasma cutter you can find, it'll be nothing but a hassle.

I don't know about others, but I have plenty of CNC and electronics experience. What I don't have is a design that I like, but yours looks like something I could do. I have a 50A Hypertherm plasma, a big box of steppers and controllers. I really like the size of your table and the idea of the downdraft. I'm really not trying to push you into any extra work but if you have the time and nothing else to do it would be very appreciated.

Thanks George

Hey george.,sorry it took me so long to catch this post. I just changed my notifications so that I can get notified when people react to my posts. :geek::geek: Hypertherm is the best IMO, when it comes to CNC friendly machines. So you're off to a good start.

As far as giving me work...that aint a concern. Quite frankly, I've been feeling a little uninspired lately, so this renewed interest in my plasma table is giving me lots of inspiration to make some new videos. I know there's a lot of different ways to control these things but I would suggest a setup that either uses Mach 3 or there's a LINUX based system run CommandCNC for CNC control. It can run on a very compact computer, and its free. I'm using mach3, because commandcnc didn't exist at the time.

Thanks for the reply Marcel. I have a Windows XP machine already setup with Mach 3. I have wanted to try the LinuxCNC program but just never got around to it. I have a couple of systems running Linux but I just never tried CNC for some reason. Maybe I'll get ambitious and try it? The Hypertherm is a really great machine, though I've replaced the torch and cable 3 times now. But my machine is pretty old I bought it in 2000, I don't even know if it can work with THC? Also, I don't have a machine torch but I have a design for using the hand torch. I'm really looking forward to your new videos, especially the ones on the plasma table.

Thanks George

Back