Xalky's cnc plasma table build log.

i'm going to have my friend that is building a table read this about the rf and shielding i dont think he knows i didnt either
time to make some sparks is upon you.
steve

i'm going to have my friend that is building a table read this about the rf and shielding i dont think he knows i didnt either
time to make some sparks is upon you.
steve
I have several good links about shielding and grounding for him to read. I got lucky that CandCNC guaranteed all my stuff and I was careful to ground and shield to excess. But if he built his electronics from scratch he shouldn't take any chances.

Here's what Tom over at CandCNC has found so far;
I have been redeemed; Yes Tom has confirmed that it was the 256PI. Here's what he wrote:

Well before we can figure out the use of the CNC connector we need to get past
the fact that as soon as we fire the torch every piece of electronics in the
room crashes! i guess it is good I don't wear a pacemaker because I would
probably be dead now.

Our nest step is to see if we can isolate the noise source (yes we know it's the
Longevity!) and figure out how and what to shield against it. Since we were
not even electrically connected to the torch except though the AC it either has
to be through that OR through the air (RFI) All I can say is ....wow. I am
totally surprised that unit could pass any FCC noise ratings for industrial
equipment.

i wanted this unit for this very reason. It is probably the nosiest unit we can
find even including the old TD StalPaks and MAX200 machines!

The HV saart machines (ESAB is one) have other problems. They use a spark
generator (Capacitor Discharge) of several kilovolts to start the arc and any
spark or arc has noise not to mention possible arcing on anything connected to
it. The RAV-01 was designed to handle CD start units after earlier designs came
back fried.

Heres what I wrote back:

Thats great news LOL...So I'm not totally insane. I'm laughing so hard over here
That my wife just came to ask me whats so damn funny! Phew, you have no idea
what a relief it is to me. I swear to Almighty God that machine gave me a case
of PTSD, yes... post traumatic stress disorder. It screwed me up so bad that I'm
reluctant to fire my Hypertherm, even though you guys are telling me it will be
fine. I'm paranoid as hell, like a combat vet on the 4th of July... no
joke..even though I'm laughing.I think i need therapy!

Yes my friends, it's official. Now to get a therapist that specializes in plasma cutting psychotherapy. Any reccomendations?icon_surprised.gifeek

Ooops...I guess i let the cat out of the bag about which machine was giving me grief!

icon_surprised.gif

Last edited:
i would have been in a total panic lol
so bad they wanted the unit, i'm sure it does not meet fcc requirements
i emailed that to my friend with the url to you thread
steve

Xalky, absolutely wonderful writeup! Top notch!!

Thank you!!

Nelson

Looks good Xalky, but you're disqualified for the project $10! on the Grounds that I'm Jealous of the room you have and the tooling. In other-words it's just not fair you have more than me :) :) :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Looks good Xalky, but you're disqualified for the project $10! on the Grounds that I'm Jealous of the room you have and the tooling. In other-words it's just not fair you have more than me :) :) :lmao::lmao::lmao:
LOL.... I've been sneezing out $10 bills lately with this build, one in my direction aint gonna make much difference one way or the other. :p What you see is about 30yrs worth of accumulation in my shop. Most of the large hardware has been acquired this year though. The child support payments ended October of last year so I have a whole other mortgage payment to spend on goodies that I've been longing for for 16 yrs. I paid my dues, now its time to have a little fun. The shop is really my retirement plan, or so I hope. I've been self employed most of my adult life so there is no pension plan for me. :( Farting around in the shop and making a few bucks is most likely gonna be my retirement future. ;)

I find it funny that you think I have a lot of room. It's just a 2 car detached garage packed to the gills with stuff. I feel jealous when I see some of these guys with 40x40 play areas. My dream is really to buy or to build a 40x50 steel building with tall cielings and a car lift so i can work on my vehicles or maybe build myself a hot rod. We can all dream.:drool:

LOL.... I've been sneezing out $10 bills lately with this build, one in my direction aint gonna make much difference one way or the other. :p What you see is about 30yrs worth of accumulation in my shop. Most of the large hardware has been acquired this year though. The child support payments ended October of last year so I have a whole other mortgage payment to spend on goodies that I've been longing for for 16 yrs. I paid my dues, now its time to have a little fun. The shop is really my retirement plan, or so I hope. I've been self employed most of my adult life so there is no pension plan for me. :( Farting around in the shop and making a few bucks is most likely gonna be my retirement future. ;)

I find it funny that you think I have a lot of room. It's just a 2 car detached garage packed to the gills with stuff. I feel jealous when I see some of these guys with 40x40 play areas. My dream is really to buy or to build a 40x50 steel building with tall cielings and a car lift so i can work on my vehicles or maybe build myself a hot rod. We can all dream.:drool:

Man I feel you pain :) I too Have been Hemorrhaging Money on my car. With all due respect, but if you want to Kavetch about space my shop is one room of my 2 room 418 sq foot prison cell, that also does double duty as my art studio. I retired Unexpectedly in 2004 with no retirement plan :) Ohh did I mentioned my Neighbors, The Krazy @$$ Lady on one side calls the Office and complains if god forbid she can hear my Dremel, and Drunky the Clown on the other side that thinks my Tool box is his. so Yea You got it good :)

Xalky,
Might want to look into making the torch a little less solidly mounted. If you get a torch strike or a part tips up, it is ugly what it will do to your consumables. My Torchmate has this issue and I really wish I had bought the AVTHC to eliminate that issue entirely. Something break away will definately save you some money and some greif...Ask me how I know. Heh heh heh, at 37 bucks a pop for machine torch tip sets.
Bob

Yeah, thats in the plans. Just trying to get her running right now.

I've got other more pressing issues.
The plasma table computer crashed and its barely limping along. I have no idea what happened to it. What would normally take 5 seconds to do now takes 10 mins. I'm getting all kinds of "program not responding" messages. Not sure if the data got corrupted or if its a memory problem. But it's pretty much any program, which leads me to believe its a hardware issue. Unbelievable....​

Back