Y axis powerfeed on Sharp VH 25

Beckerkumm

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm posting my addition of a powerfeed on my mill, not so much because it was hard to do, but because I learned that buying a kit supposedly for a specific mill isn't worth the expense. The VH 25 is a little more rare than most Bridgeport clones and has a Z axis rapids that competes with the Y axis handwheel. Due to the unusual nature of the build, I decided to go with Sharp's Align kit for the machine. I ended up remaking or modifying almost all the parts, so my plan was flawed.

The spacers included needed to be thicker and the bolt holes that were predrilled partially missed the meat of the bracket ( as you can see in the picture )so i made a new one about 1" thick and moved the bolt holes to center on the bracket.

The shaft needed to be extended as is usually the case and in my case, the brass gear needed to be milled down some to place the wheel closer to the machine and farther from the Z handle. The Align needed to be placed sideways and the Y handwheel swapped to a smaller diameter with a spring loaded handle. It also needed to clear my scales unless I really wanted to complicate my life.

For those in a similar situation, paying a $400 upcharge for a Sharp feed does not give you a plug and play option other than a matching gray color. In hindsight I would have preferred spending the extra for a Servo unit since everything needed to be modified anyway. I have no complaints on how things work but thought my experience might save others from my mistake. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4096.JPG
    DSCN4096.JPG
    242 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN4097.JPG
    DSCN4097.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN4098.JPG
    DSCN4098.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4101.JPG
    DSCN4101.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4103.JPG
    DSCN4103.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 11
Dave, nice job. Kind of stinks that you pay so much for a Sharp drive and nothing fits, I would say give Sharp a call but in the past when I made some inquires to them they never got back to me. I like the folding handle so you do not get beat up when using the power drive. My one concern is if you are near the end of the Y outward extension that it might interfere with the drive, but unlikely you will need that degree of travel.

Thanks Mark. I do better when no electronics are involved. Need you for that. The Align doesn't interfere which is another reason not to move the DRO scale to set it closer to the table. I think Sharp meant to extend the shaft by adding to the other end of the screw but I never got a good answer and didn't want to go that route anyway.

On a side note, this is one of what I believe are the few Sharp machines made by Long Chang ( First ) who make the Acra machines. Acra sells a similar if not identical model. From the little experience I have with Taiwan machines, First seems like they have pretty decent QC. For smaller mills, Acra would get a serious look for that reason. Dave

Mark has the Acra, and a few other people.

Back