Ya so, that sucks...

I think I'll give that nickel rod a try. I've welded cast a few times before.
It's an AC welder. Ya the nickel rod is a bit messy with the AC, but it works.
If it all doesn't work and I flub it all, I'll part it out, or put it on the curb, or keep it and use it for some kind of project. I use this drill press pretty seldom. If anyone wants this for a project, gimme $40 bucks. I'd rather a pedistal drill anyways. The mini mill just took the spot on the bench the drill occupied.

I wouldn't waste any time welding that up. Like cathead said, make a weldment or make a new one from a solid piece of aluminum or ductile iron. Be an easy lathe project, wouldn't necessary require a mill but make it easier on the tapped holes and making a split cut in th piece.

What about you give Delta a call/e-mail? They are still in business and have been for my life time ( I ain’t telling). And they have parts too…Dave

From my experience with an 18" delta drum sander, delta no longer offers replacement parts in Canada, if at all, to my knowledge. But, there are a few parts websites that make after market parts. I'll check it out.

Shawn everyone has been nice to you and hasn't mentioned an arbor press for doing what you want....Busy Bee has a 1 ton one on now for under $100, but I don't think it drills holes :).

David

Hahaha. Yeah, they don't generally drill holes. I really should get one one of these days.

OK. Now that Hukshawn finally said what everybody else was thinking, just what where you thinking?
I'm glad that I haven's ever done something so ...... well OK, I probably have, but still.;)
I really think that your little goof is quite repairable and as I have found when such a thing happens to me, you will learn
not only from the (insert your own chastisement here) but also from fixing it up. You will look back on this and smile
on many occasions and have a good chuckle and admire the fact that you triumphed over catastrophe.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I suppose I should set the record. I was doing something stupid on a machine that wasn't designed to take that kind of force, mainly because, at the time, I really didn't care. It was likely a choice of hammer the bearing in place and risking ruining a brand new machine, or risk breaking a machine I barely use and likely bought for less than $100... I made my bed...
I posted cause I figured you guys would get a bit of a laugh out of such recklessness... I assure you, however, I don't treat the lathe or the mill to such recklessness. If I did something like that to either of those, you're likely to see the deplorable sight of a grown man reduced to a teary pile of pathetic on the floor.

That said, when the need finally arises and I need to fix the mess I made, I will do my research and sort out the best way to repair the chasm sized crack.

"I figured you guys would get a bit of a laugh out of such recklessness..."
Well I sure did;)
but also learned not to ever do that:wink:

Back