Ya so, that sucks...

What size column is it? Used DP parts like this show up on eBay fairly frequently.

Glenn

Last night was garbage night. I got a little carried away with tossing some crap to the curb in the spirit of tidying up. I ALMOST put that drill press out there as I have currently no intention to fix it and it's just in the way.... buuuut I decided I better not do that... but the scrap guy who stopped by as I was putting an old working stereo by the curb was fairly happy to take my refuse and scraps.

We all have had to make do with what we have on hand. I'd much rather see a bearing seated using a drill press then when I see photos of guys using their lathe. Pushing the bearing in-place with the tail stock. I don't see how that can help the spindle.
AND it would have worked if the work didn't bottom out :)

I made one of those for a buffalo drill press at work that someone else busted. it took a little while out of a chunck of alum. still up and running as far as I know worked fine. bill

I'd just weld it. It's likely just mild steel. If it's cast or something else, if you have a TIG or know someone who does, it can be welded just about no matter what the metal type is . Weld, flap disk and re-paint it and you'd never know the difference other than it'll be prettier than the rest of the DP. :)

I've used my Taiwan (old but not good) drill press as a press before, really pulled on it too to where I was sure the quill feed gear would break. Hasn't tho, the wretched
thing just soldiers on, with it's saggy table and wiggly quill. Must be about a '73 or '74 vintage. Ugg. I actually kind of admire it now.
Mark S.

Back about 1978, dad sent me and my brother to one of those traveling tool sales in Houston to buy two drill presses. We came home with the two, both the same model, a floor model, both had No. 2MT spindle taper with a drill chuck. All made in Taiwan. Tables were not flat on either one. And one had the slot for driving out the MT drill chuck and the other did not. Who ever has it now, it's probably still like that today.

Back