YADRO For My South Bend 10" Lathe

Canuck75

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I put a YADRO setup on my bench mill in 2010 which has worked reliably ever since. The DRO made such a change to using the mill that I wanted a DRO on the lathe as well.

Chinese kits are becoming very very cheap, however, having one YADRO already I figured I'd put another one on the lathe. The plus side is that the scales have a small profile and the cables are just wires, so easy to route. The downside is that the display laptop is big and storage room is needed for the power bricks, no biggy, and certainly not a show stopper. Hobbymetrix where I got the mill DRO is no longer vending DROs, but had enough stock to supply the parts I needed, so picked them up.

My 1963 SB doesn't have a flat surface on it anywhere which was the biggest issue, also, any side mount on the cross-slide would also limit tailstock travel which is at a premium with a 3' 6" bed, as it is there is only 17" of Z travel between the headstock and where the threading dial runs into the lead screw end carrier. So, for the cross-slide I made a longer connecting arm out of steel channel and mounted the scale further aft. This clears the tailstock in every configuration. For the Z scale there is room under the taper attachment for the 1/4" x 2" x 2" AL mounting angle. To get around the lack of flat surfaces on the side of the bed I used setscrews against the attachment bolts to get everything true and square. Lots of runs with the DI. For the display I just clamped the mount (with a built-in wire box) to the corner of the chip tray which is handy, but far enough away from flying chips.

Looking forward to using the DRO, especially on the Z axis!

Cheers.

Attachments
  • IMG_8920.jpegIMG_8950.jpegIMG_8951.jpegIMG_8968.jpegIMG_8969.jpegIMG_8971.jpegIMG_8972.jpegIMG_8974.jpegIMG_8976.jpegIMG_8977.jpeg

Last edited:
Do you plan on a dedicated display, or is that ancient computer subbing as such?

Very good workmanship on the install and a great looking lathe overall.

Very good workmanship on the install and a great looking lathe overall.

Thanks jcp. Got it in 1975 from military surplus, it had been on a navy repair ship which was scrapped. I've carted it all over the country (military myself) and kept it knowing the moving would eventually stop. Made some metric transposing gears some years ago so with the DRO it will do everything I need until I peg out.

Happy machining.

Re-attached the photos of my DRO installation. Don't know why they would not view the first time.

Back