Yall talk me into or out of this machine..

The link appears to be right, but just to make sure, it is for a Central Machinery ZAY7032G..
Here is a pic from his ad: Is this the one yall are seeing?
View attachment 70046
Yes that's the machine. I repaired the link so everyone could look at the right thing. The link was not right originally which is what caused the original confusion. The Link is correct now.:))

Yes that's the machine. I repaired the link so everyone could look at the right thing. The link was not right originally which is what caused the original confusion. The Link is correct now.:))

Sorry, that was my bad. I just pasted the link in and didn't use the link button. I'm must not be fully awake. Need...more...coffee..

What sort of electrical choices do you have? The Grizz and PM are 220, so you may need to at least rewire for them (I paid $50+ for a 25' roll of 10-3 armored cable at Home Despot recently for my rewire job.) This one says it's 110 single phase, so you can run it right out of a 20 amp circuit in the garage if that's all you've got.

I think the round column will be an annoyance over time, but if it gets you up and running quickly, so much the better. Plus it lets you really figure out what you want to buy eventually as your 'forever' machine and won't break the bank when you sell it later. You might even be able to strip the dro, power feed (if they work on the next machine) and keep the tooling, and still a decent part of your $1,500 back.

I agree about the platform it's on - you'll want to improve that for stability and height.

-Ryan

Edited: I didn't note the Grizz came with a vfd.

My input is, round column is a no go, that was my first mill and I hated it...

Looks like a all right deal..... But in my opinion, 1500.00 would get you in the ballpark for an older USA built mill like a Clausing for example. I bought my Millrite, which is not a bench top, for 500.00 with a Kurt vise. It needed a little work, but it now is a real good machine. It may take a little more time to find what you want, but in the end it will we worth it.

Round column keep looking imo. Did you ask him why he's selling it after all the effort and money he obviously put into it? Agree with the poster above at $1,500 you are getting into used knee mill territory. Look into the DRO further understand exactly what you are getting there, .0005 resolution on the display does not equal .0005 accuracy. Depending on the DRO the actual accuracy over a set distance of travel could be +-.003. As for the tooling there's value IF its tooling you need and they are not already dull, chipped, etc. I'd rather find a deal that had tool holders and vises vs tooling. Also if that thing is a gear head prepared for it to be very LOUD!

Thanks yall, for the input. I think I am going to let this one go and keep hunting and saving for the machine I really want. I really appreciate all yall's perspectives on it, and yall's input. Cheers!

You made the right decision, keep lookin for a knee mill....I was kicking myself in the rear for not getting a knee mill sooner once I got one after havin a round column bench mill.....

You made the right decision, keep lookin for a knee mill....I was kicking myself in the rear for not getting a knee mill sooner once I got one after havin a round column bench mill.....

I'm not being a spoiler as I'm fully cleared to mention this.... Matt (at Precision Matthew, Quality Machine Tool) is offering a 936 knee mill that is very similar to the 935 listed on his website. The 936 is from China and is $1000 less than the 935. I know I posted pictures of it here somewhere but I can't find them...

BTW: I'm very busy in the shop today otherwise I'd go find those pictures.... I got a last minute job to make some truck cabinets out of 3/16" diamond plate aluminum. -I'm struggling in the cold garage trying to do the TIG work now...

Ray

Back