Yamaha Tools

epanzella

Active User
Registered
I needed to rebuild the lower unit on my left hand Yamaha 4 stroke boat engine. I could have replaced the whole lower unit on my right hand engine but there was no left hand units to be had. After having a minor conniption fit when Yamaha's price on the tooling needed came to about $800 I built the tools and rebuilt the lower unit. Tools included a spanner wrench, thread chaser, sliding hammer, housing puller, housing stand, needle bearing seater, and a small tool for setting up the shifter detents. In the back is a fuel injector cleaner I made which was not in the Yamaha tool estimate.

.DSC_0271.JPGDSC_0274.JPG

Last edited:
I was wondering if the Yamahas could have 2 right hand lower units, and change the pull at the shifter quadrant run one in reverse, but still have the correct shifter pull? When I had Volvo I/Os, and then shafts with ZF Hurth transmissions that is how counter rotation was accomplished.

I was wondering if the Yamahas could have 2 right hand lower units, and change the pull at the shifter quadrant run one in reverse, but still have the correct shifter pull? When I had Volvo I/Os, and then shafts with ZF Hurth transmissions that is how counter rotation was accomplished.
The Yamaha lower units ( at least my F115's) use identical housings for the left and right engines but the prop shafts are completely different between the two. It has to do with the location of the foward thrust bearing which is substantially larger than the one for reverse. To switch a right hand engine to left hand you have to buy a left hand prop shaft. Because switching shafts is what the dealers do when THEY can't find a left hand engine, there were no left hand shafts available either.

That makes life difficult....

Nice job on the tools too.

Very cool! After you are done the job you could put the tools on eBay, undersell Yamaha and recoup your time!
Robert

Very cool! After you are done the job you could put the tools on eBay, undersell Yamaha and recoup your time!
Robert
HA! The job is done but I'm still using those engines. The tools cost me just a little more than a walk to my stock rack so i think I'll keep 'em!

Don't hurt that left hand shaft :)
When it's time to change power heads, I'd look at a different set up.

Back