Yard Truck Conversion Project

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Not exactly a “classic car, plane train helicopter or rocket” but this seemed like the most likely forum to place a project like this. I found this Taylor Dunn “Burden Carrier” setting in the scrap yard and I saw it being handy around the home place so I adopted it.
TD Arrives Home.jpg
Made an arrangement with the scrap yard manager to weight it and return the unwanted pieces not needed for the home project I had in my head. This saved me the cost of 350 pounds of scrap I did not need or want.

My thoughts on the project were to get rid of the solid rubber covered cast iron wheels and electric motor drive. The vehicle still has the solid wheels in the photo above before any pneumatic tires and wheels could be located. My first thoughts were to place a hydrostatic lawn tractor engine and drive train under it. This would make the wife “want to help around the yard”. She loves to drive the zero turn mower!

I know the thing looks bad in the photo above but this photo from the Taylor Dunn site is my inspiration:
Taylor Dunn 1.JPG

I do not plan to use the safety yellow color shown in the photos when I get to the point of new paint. First goal is to get it moveable under its own power.

Has anyone done a project like this or have any ideas. My idea of the lawn tractor power train seems easy but I suspect getting the controls to the cab area may not be so simple!

More to come as parts and photos become available. There should be some machining and fabrication content before this is over with.

Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

TD Arrives Home.jpg Taylor Dunn 1.JPG

Benny, What kind of room you got in the engine compartment?
Looks like a fun project.
Gas motor from a golf cart should fit.
**********G*************

Benny where do you find the time for all that ambition?

Master of unfinished projects

If you keep the electric motor (those batteries must weight a ton) you can add a small forklift in front of it without the need of supplemental weight.

Benny, What kind of room you got in the engine compartment?
Looks like a fun project.
Gas motor from a golf cart should fit.
**********G*************

Good Question! I have just started to discover the answers to this. I downloaded a copy of the original dimensions from the Taylor Dunn site, copy below.
Taylor Dunn B Dimensions.JPG
As built the truck was fairly low to the ground with about 19 inch diameter solid wheels. Since I will be using it for work around the yard and live in a wooded and hilly area I probably need more ground clearance at the price of raising the center of gravity.

Here is a photo with the temporary pneumatic tires and wheels installed. The front has a 7.50 x 8 inch "trailer" tire and wheel which was a factory option according to the Taylor Dunn site. The rear has a 16 inch diameter tire from a lawn tractor.
TD Temp Pneumatic Tires.jpg

The next photo is a look down into the "future engine compartment" showing what I have to work with. Going to need some modification! The engine will set about where the two round tubular pieces are at the right.
TD Future Engine Compartment.jpg

First step is to make a final decision on what size tire I will use. I am kind of leaning toward using 23 inch diameter tires as I now have some but they just won't fit under the truck without a lift kit for the front axle and some sheet metal work for clearance. Below is a photo of one of the 23 inch wheel setting next to rear of the truck.
TD Tire Size Comparison.jpg

Going to be some structural changes needed! However one of the reasons I liked the truck is that it was manufactured using all standard structural steel shapes.

Here is a photo of the donor John Deere lawn tractor that I plan to use. It has been setting in a barn for about two years and I was told it works but I have not had it running yet. Just got it unloaded and stripped to this point so I can measure and test everything before I start cutting and fitting.
JD Donor Strip Started.jpg

Your last comment is also a good one also but the gas powered carts don't last long at the scrap yard here. Everyone is willing to adopt them and give them a new life.

Benny

- - - Updated - - -

Benny where do you find the time for all that ambition?

Master of unfinished projects

I am retired so time should not be a problem but ambition and unfinished projects is!:rofl: However I have the full support of the wife on this project as she likes to drive things around the place. She claims the garden tractor and zero turn mower as her personal tools.

Benny

- - - Updated - - -

If you keep the electric motor (those batteries must weight a ton) you can add a small forklift in front of it without the need of supplemental weight.

I don't plan to use battery power but the fork lift idea was also suggested by forum member Charley Davidson. I have filed it away but not ruled it out. Right now the focus is to get the thing moving under its own power. I can always find some junk around here to load on the back if weight is needed.:rofl:

Benny

Taylor Dunn B Dimensions.JPG TD Temp Pneumatic Tires.jpg TD Future Engine Compartment.jpg TD Tire Size Comparison.jpg JD Donor Strip Started.jpg

Last edited:
Benny---it looks like a very good project--I'm using a John Deere LUC 2 cyl motor in my yard homemade machine---maybe you can locate one of those out there---they were used in combines and small tractors----Dave

If you stuck with the smaller wheels there looks to be room behind the back axle for a bogey. Might help to carry the weight. I imagine that it would have a substantial chassis for the original design.

Cheers Phil

Back