YAWII (Yet Another What Is It)

foleda

Registered
Registered
These were in a bag of Cleeko's I found at a pawn shopmystery-tool-3.jpg
.mystery-tool-1.jpgmystery-tool-2.jpg

Those look like they could be screwdrivers for starting screws in tight spots where you can't actually get your fingers in to hold the screw while it is starting... it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures on my monitor though.

Those look like they could be screwdrivers for starting screws in tight spots where you can't actually get your fingers in to hold the screw while it is starting... it is kind of hard to tell from the pictures on my monitor though.
They could be used to grab something like a screw head but the end of the central part is flat so it would not engage a slot or other drive structure on a screw to transfer torque. The central part is threaded inside the knurled part so it moves up and down relative to the slotted/notched collar and could apply considerable force to whatever you put into the slot.

Here is another photo with a darker background to show the business end a little better.
mystery-tool-4.jpg

If you found it with clecos, it might well have to do with placing rivets in tight places on aircraft. Just a guess...
I thought it might be something aircraft related but I could not find anything like it at The Yard Store or Aircraft Spruce.

These look like lantern chuck-type screw holders. You'd use them to hold screws by the head when you want to work on the threaded section (shortening, grinding, cleanup, etc.)

They could be used to grab something like a screw head but the end of the central part is flat so it would not engage a slot or other drive structure on a screw to transfer torque. The central part is threaded inside the knurled part so it moves up and down relative to the slotted/notched collar and could apply considerable force to whatever you put into the slot.

Here is another photo with a darker background to show the business end a little better.
View attachment 293864
By the picture the end is totally how a rivet set is. It's not flat, it's kind of concave to fit the head of a solid rivet. Makes sense it would be used with clecos. I see how you load it by the side slot, but then what? I guess it can help you get the rivet in the hole but I'm not seeing what it does from there. Does the end open up, is there some kind of spring action when you push down on it? Never saw one of those in aircraft school.

By the picture the end is totally how a rivet set is. It's not flat, it's kind of concave to fit the head of a solid rivet. Makes sense it would be used with clecos. I see how you load it by the side slot, but then what? I guess it can help you get the rivet in the hole but I'm not seeing what it does from there. Does the end open up, is there some kind of spring action when you push down on it? Never saw one of those in aircraft school.

No spring action. The only moving part is the collar knurled with the slot. It is threaded on the central rod and moves up and down when turned. The end of the central rod is flat with beveled edges so it would register on a flat headed screw but not with a round headed screw or rivet.

It looks like they may be meant to use with countersunk rivets.

These look like lantern chuck-type screw holders. You'd use them to hold screws by the head when you want to work on the threaded section (shortening, grinding, cleanup, etc.)
I think we have winner here hman. Solid rivets need a specific grip and length so when set the driven part is a specific witdth and height. I'll bet this is for holding rivets for making custom length rivets. I looked all through the aircraft tools and it only showed cleco pliers. I originally thought it was for popping the rivets into the holes but the lack of a quick release made that a no go.

Back