Ye olde pipe vise question

I'm gratified to see that even the right vise isn't always good on holding pipe. Just finished threading
a few 3/4" black iron pipes for my woodwork clamps, and with my pipe die (perhaps it's a bit dull), the
torque was just too much for my 3" vise. The job only required threading five ends, but
took almost all day, because the pipe kept slipping. I could get a quarter turn of the die
before it slipped... and soft jaws were slipping, too.

What finally got the jaws of the vise to grip, was a re-lubrication of the vise screw, and its thrust washer,
and coarse-wheel dressing of the jaw faces with a bench grinder,

It's an import vise, and the jaws weren't well-textured, just embossed and hardened, and
the oxide on the jaws (in addition to that on the pipe) was slippery. I suppose I could have
used a pipe to torque the vise harder, but that seemed likely to cause more
trouble than it's worth.

On my wishlist: one or more items that do not move when I apply force. The vise is on a 6x8" timber
scrap, and only takes torque in ONE orientation (or the timber lifts or rotates) from its position, unclamped,
on the worktable.

A thin cut off wheel on a 4.5" grinder, and a light touch would make quick work of it. Also cleaning up, and lubricating the vise screw threads will make a big difference. Mike

Back