Ye olde pipe vise question

oldepole

Registered
Registered
This probably isn't the place to post this but I figure someone on this site will have an answer for me.
I picked this old vise up for next to nothing and the jaws don't grip the pipe very well. I have to tighten the vise up to the point I'm afraid I'll strip the threads.
A close look at the jaws show that they are a bit rounded at the point and I thought if I filed the teeth to a point again it would make the vise usable.
The problem is the jaws are hard. A metal file just slides right off of them with out hardly a scuff mark. My thought was to use a diamond file to do this.
Is this a good idea or am I barking up the wrong tree?
P_20171003_100251-1-0.png

Get a cheap coarse stone and give it try.

Can wrap wet dry sandpaper around a file too.

Many options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Careful grinding would sharpen them; I assume that the pipe spins while trying to thread it, compounding the problem may be that your dies are dull.
Yes the pipe spins.
The dies don't seem to be dull. I've no problem threading a pipe if I use my bench vise, but I can't haul my bench to someones house.

I'll have to try the dremel. I just didn't want to buy a tool I'll most likely never use again.
Thanks for all the input!!

I have been a gear head all my life, and have never been with out at least 2 Dremel motors. one of the most versatile tools I have. Looking around the shop I have 2 Dremel motors, one the old round model, a Fordom flex shaft with 2 different hand pieces, a flex shaft tool that came with and runs off a bench grinder, and my new favorite is the Milwaukee m12.

Back