yellow--??????????

Gary Max

Active User
Registered
I bought some 1 1/4 steel rod yesterday and the end is painted yellow. What does the yellow stand for?????:thinking:

Impossible to tell for sure unless you have that information from the supplier. There are no universal color codes. I would suspect though, that it is O-1. I have seen that fairly consistently, but no promises.

Impossible to tell for sure unless you have that information from the supplier. There are no universal color codes. I would suspect though, that it is O-1. I have seen that fairly consistently, but no promises.

True, steel companies use it to identify there steel but as Tony said there is no universal standard. I have always made ti a habit that after I cut my steel I mark what it is on both ends of the bar stock witha sharpie. 1144 stressproof, S7, A2, H13, 1018, Nak55 or whatever.

Color codes are useless unless you know where the metal came from and what there code is. Codes and SAE numbers however are traceable and standardized.

The color codes are definitely supplier dependent and not universal. I have a bunch of O1 drill rod and its all painted red on the ends.

Tom

Darn------- I was hoping the yellow meant something. Guess I find out when I try to drill a 3/4 hole in the end of it.

Thanks

The supplier has tons of metal that is less than new so they would not be have that info. For 40 cents a pound you are on your own.

The supplier has tons of metal that is less than new so they would not be have that info. For 40 cents a pound you are on your own.

Thats the thing when purchasing materials at places that sell at discount prices. But for the most part, you will know what its like to work with. Most of the time the material is useable for most things.

I am sure you are right Paul ---- with a savings over 75% I will be able to get-r-done. I ended up hauling about $700.00 worth of new steel home for less than $200.00.

Thats a good question, my locals stock has some blue, some yellow, and some plain. I really cant see
any difference in turning threading with any of them. Clerk doesnt know either.

My best junkyard find in metal: One time I arrived to find a WHOLE PALLET of 01 steel STILL IN THE WRAPPERS. The pallet was piled about 4" or 5" high. I bought a bunch of it. Some small rusting here and there from rain. Unfortunately,the steel was all pretty thick stuff,like 3/4" or so. No 1/8 or 1/4". At least,I know what it is,and it's all older USA steel.

I also bought out the real old stock of Brown and Sharpe W1 steel that a company had. It was very old,and the wrappers were dirty and torn. Guess they thought with wrappers in that condition,it wasn't presentable!!! It is ground MUCH smoother than you see on precision ground today. All 6" wide,1/8 and 1/4" material. I DO NOT want to sell any. Good,old USA made steel,from when we were making great steel. And,W1 is getting very hard to find in larger sizes. Many aren't making this simple steel any more. It is treacherous to heat treat,but W1 will take a sharper edge than other steels. Knife makers like it.

Back