Yes or no on this milling machine?

Jason280

Registered
Registered
I've been looking for a lathe, and came across a gentleman with a large South Bend lathe and Induma milling machine. It looks similar to a Bridgeport J head, and uses R8 collets. Best I can tell, Induma is an Italian import, so picking up parts would be next to impossible.

Its a 3 phase machine, which isn't an issue as he can include a 3 phase rotary converter. Bearings sound good when running, and the table moves on all axis without too much trouble. It does have a decent amount of backlash, so I am not too sure how easy it would be to correct. The big issue I have noticed is switching the speeds in the head. I have no idea the correct procedure for switching speeds, but it does have a lever just above the head and on the side for speed adjustment. Of course, I have no idea if its a mechanical issue with something broken, or if its just user/operator error.

It also has a DRO set up, but does not read when moving X or Y...you can zero it, but that is about it. Is this typically just a scale issue on the table?

The machine also has power feed on the X axis, which is hit or miss....sounds like an occasional engagement problem, not sure if this is something easy to fix or not.

I am not too concerned with the DRO or powerfeed, my main concern is the speed adjustment in the head. I know most of this screams "run away", but price is right with the converter (under $1k). Question is, am I potentially jumping into a machine that will be too much of a headache?

20190421_190814_jpg-920790.JPG

20190421_190839_jpg-920791.JPG
20190421_190819_jpg-920792.JPG

20190421_190824_jpg-920793.JPG

20190421_192705_jpg-920794.JPG

you shift speeds by moving the belt to different pulleys. it is common way to do it. as for price I would have it home by now.

The speed controls look the same as BP 1j head.

It looks like a repop of a Bridgeport. I would suggest downloading the manual for a bp to learn speed adjustment. It’s easy just a sequence to get it right. If not you can get some weird noises when trying to start. Backlash in screws might be just a adjustment on the nuts or they may be able
to be split like on a BP. Head looks like a step pulley so less likely to have problems there. Run it through it’s gears if all sounds well not much to go wrong.

I would just manually switch between pulleys in the head to change speeds?

I would just manually switch between pulleys in the head to change speeds?
Yes and no
On that machine you have a high and a low gear or sometimes called backgear.
Within high and low gear you have four different pulley speeds you can go off. So you have eight speeds four in high and four in low.
High gear is top lever forward spin spindle to engage gear and switch lever on right side of head to the in position I think. Low speed top lever is to the side move spindle while moving lever on side of head to out position. You also have to change direction of spindle rotation for high gear. Usually the plate on front of head of BP gives speeds and operation of high and low gear.

Back