Yet Another Atlas Mill Thread - The Clueless Mfc

CluelessNewB

Active Resistor
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Rather than hijack one of the other Atlas Mill threads I decided it would be best to start my own.

I have had this mill since late last summer but I haven't had much time to work on it. I had started dis-assembly a few months ago but today I finally removed the main casting from the floor cabinet and started prep for painting. Here are a few pictures of the floor cabinet which I believe is Atlas No. 9050 that was used for both the Atlas mill and the shaper. Does anyone know what the large threaded hole in the top is for? I didn't actually measure it but it appears to be about 3/4" in diameter. It may be pipe thread. It sort of looks like a pipe coupling welded under the top of the table. I believe it is original since the paint all matches.

I plan to use Rustoleum "Dark Machine Gray" since it is an ok but not perfect match to the original.

IMG_0618.jpg IMG_0619.jpg IMG_0620.jpg

Rich,

The threaded hole is for a coolant drain line. In the 30's and 40's, Atlas made and sold a couple of coolant supplies that sat on the shelf below the lathes or mills. The base and A-model mills did not have the cutout and removable plate on the back of the M1-1 Housing (column) for the built-in pump/reservoir. That came out with the B model.

One of those cabinets is offered now on E-Bay.... for $599.99 US!!! I think some of these scrappers are trying to fund their retirement accounts, not just make a quick buck.

Spiral_Chips

Let's see if it sells. A lot of the items for sale now just keep getting relisted the price is so outrages.

I'm pleading the 5th because if I admit what I paid for the whole mill with stand, kick out and vise I could be arrested for theft, but I will say it was less than what they are asking for that stand! ;)

image.jpeg
I've previously stated that since the main body of the mill is "John Deere green" I kinda wish they had painted the original cabinet the same color instead of trim yellow, but at least I HAVE the original cabinet. ;). Now if I can finish the over arm support bracket that came with it and get the knee working right...

:frog:

I do like the green. The eyes and nose remind me a bit of "Kilroy Was Here".

My knee was rather stiff also. I just kept working it and spraying with Kroil and eventually got it free enough to get it apart. I'm not sure what the previous owner used for cutting fluid but it solidified into something the consistency of roofing cement. Mineral spirits does soften it but it takes a while.

Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray is nice. You may also consider "Machinery Gray" from Ace Hardware. It is a little darker and I like it for tools.
Robert

It's good the hear you got a good deal C.N.B.... I paid a bunch but I did get things like the rotary table and vice... And, OH....
:you suck:

jk, jk... and thanks for your help.

IMG_0629.JPG IMG_0630.JPG IMG_0633.JPG View attachment 136784 View attachment 136785 IMG_0631.JPG IMG_0632.JPG View attachment 136788

With summer winding down I have finally been able to spend a bit more time in the shop. I have been cleaning and painting over the past few days. I still have a few more parts to clean up an paint. It will probably be a few weeks before I will get much more time in the shop.

FYI the paint is Rustoleum Dark Machine Gray, yes it's boring and yes it's not really anything like the original... Sorry for the sideways pictures but they look fine on my computer.

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0634.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. I'm working on an MFB and repainting with the machine gray.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Back