Yet another DRO thread

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
H-M Platinum Supporter
Please accept my apologies in advance.
I have searched several times, and can find few dedicated threads here on brand like/dislikes, install experience and customer service.

I am entertaining the notion of hanging a DRO on my Millrite MVN. I already have one on the lathe, and have learned how to use it well enough to truly appreciate the fact that -

1. I lose count FAR more often than I used to.
2. Math in my head is foggier every time I attempt to test its former strength.
3. My patience for my own silly mistakes has gone the way of my mental math skills.

For these and many more reasons, I have nearly talked myself into spending a chunk of my unused sick/vacation buyout check when I retire (next month) on the dang gizmo.

I have spent more than a few hours surfing the web in research. DRO Pros have a great site, and appear to be a great choice. They are certainly NOT the cheapest, but I still define value as much more than the simple up front cost.

I am a fairly handy fellow, and I will do the install myself.

I would appreciate any relevant experience this brain trust can offer. Point me to some threads I could not find, and/or offer any advice you have. :big grin:

I've used lathes and mills of and on over the years, all without DROs, and that was fine. When it came to buying my own equipment though, I saw, and still see, no reason for one on a lathe - for what I do. The mill is a different story, where it's extremely useful. I don't know what a Millrite MVN is, but if it does milling, I approve of you spending your money on it :)

Last edited:
It does, and I approve of your approval:)

IMO, a DRO is a useful addition to both a mill and a lathe. I ran both a mill and lathe without for decades but currently have a DRO on two mills and a lathe. Aside from the benefits you stated, they will improve accuracy by removing backlash from the equation, compensating for a machine with some wear. The ability to set subdatum points greatly reduces the probability of human error.

I have installed two Grizzly glass scale DRO's on mills. These are essentially the same as those sold by DRO Pros and the Sino DRO's. The DRO Pros units offer more options and it appears that they have better support than Grizzly. For the adventurous, the Sino units offer a better price but at the expense of support.

I have three axis DRO's on both my mills and my lathe, the third axis on the lathe on the tailstock.

Thanks, RJ. I knew I could count on this group to help me spend my money:grin:

DRO Pros are pushing the magnetic scales pretty hard. Have you ever seen any sort of failure with your glass scales?

Next time you're on DRO Pros, check out their "Inrernet Specils." They have a 3-axis mill system for $850, instead of the usual $1215. I was considering upgrading the DRO on my round column mill and giving them serious consideration. But then I decided that adding such a DRO to my old mill was probably not justified. Opted to buy a new mill, instead.

Glass scales have two potential downsides - can't be cut to length, and are vulnerable to contaminants. My new mill came with glass scales already instaled, so that wasn't an issue. Just be sure to measure carefully when you order. Contamination can be minimized, if not eliminated, by careful placement and shielding of the scales. The installation on my mill was done well enough that I don't expect any trouble.

My best guess is that if glass scales failed too frequently, they wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as they are.

My oldest set of glass scales is 15 years old. The display panel has rarely been shut down in that time. No problems with either in that time.

My best guess is that if glass scales failed too frequently, they wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as they are.
Quite logical.
Thanks to both of you for your input.

I will document the install, when it finally comes around.
Looks like a great winter project. :grin:

I can live without a DRO on a mill, but I must have one for carriage travel on the lathe, cross-slide is optional. I went with the cheapest most economical unit I could find for my SB Heavy 10. Currently about $140 w/ free shipping for 2-axis. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32721078052.html?
It arrived well packed and as ordered. I've had it 2-1/2 years now and it's been trouble free. If the old Mit Digimatic on my mill gives up, I'll get another one of these.

Oh, and there are several videos on YouTube showing how to cut glass scales if you should ever have the need.

I bought a DRO Pros Internet special 2 axis mill package. Magnetic scales, I cut them to length, it was very easy. Kit came with lots of brackets/hardware for the install, I still had to modify some of it. It’s been trouble free for 6 months.

Back