Yet another drum switch

Thanks ..in your diagram Mark ....and no neutral at all? And the safety ground for the switch I assume just connects to the casing? As well as to the casing of the motor?

For further examination I did take the back off ...here are some pics. I did confirm that the yellow wire goes to the start capacitor, but I could not ohm out any of the poles to the internal motor wiring. If this changes anything please let me know ....you guys are great! Richard

IMG_6856.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_6854.JPG

IMG_6853.JPG

You don't need a neutral if the start winding is wired to one of the phases and to the middle of the two main windings. All casings should be earth grounded. If your hunting around with the ohm meter you may as well short the capacitor for now as it is effectively non conductive to low voltage DC. On the the forth image you have confirmed my prediction that there is a strap to the bottom two lugs of the five points.

Yes, and yes. Just reassemble and connect, should work. Let me know if it doesn't. Be careful.
M

I wired it like Mark suggested ...and I see what is happening as far as the wiring goes. Basically the line voltage in is being switched going to the yellow wire (start capacitor) but this does not reverse the motor ...in fact the motor runs in reverse in both directions this way. Alexander...could you be specific with which wires go where with your diagram? Thank you, Richard

I cant see why it would do that? Mark has a simplified version of mine with color and the leads to the start winding going from the strap.

Occam"s razor. Are you flicking the switch rapidly between forward and reverse? You need to let the motor come to a stop before reversing. or at least click, but that is hard on the motor.

Yes I am letting motor come to a complete stop before I try the other direction. Either switch setting always runs the motor in reverse. The way it is wired ...it is not really swapping the red and yellow leads as the motor casing instructs. It is basically swapping the two 240 line leads feed to the yellow (capacitor start) wire. But it definitely only runs in reverse in both switch positions.

Scratch that ....you were right I was not letting the motor come to an absolute complete halt. I did that ....and yes it reversing. Although in forward the motor is moving counterclockwise ....which would be in reverse (I think) ....so to correct that I should put the yellow lead on the center post of the other side of the switch I assume?

Back