Yet another drum switch

Got it ...also I was thinking if I just swap the wiring on the start capacitor ....wouldn't that do it too? Doesn't matter ...but like anything I try to understand what is happening and not just follow instructions. At any rate ...the big issue is resolved. Thank you guys ...I hope I can return the favor somehow in the future.

Most guys don't care about the theory, they just want it to work LOL
I can go into more detail if you want. The phase shift of the capacitor and start winding with respect to the run winding is what sets the rotational direction. Swapping the cap leads won't reverse it. Swapping the ends of the start winding will, or swapping the ends of the run windings. Here, we are doing the former. With the 220 volt connection, we only have to switch one side of the start leg between the two power lines, only 3 wires to the motor + ground. Why? I'm saving that for the next lesson;)
Mark
BTW, when we say "start leg" we mean all three parts: the start winding, the start cap, and the centrifugal start switch

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation as well. I try to get my little brain to understand the basics as much as possible ...so in the future I could maybe figure it out ...or pay it forward. So give me as much info/links to info as you feel like. Your help is greatly appreciated. Richard

Rich: here's the second part of the "lesson"- study the 4 configurations, you will see that A and B give the same result, and C and D give the same opposite result. Notice the small black "dot" on the windings indicating polarity. What we are doing here is taking one upper case and one lower case(A and D for example) to give both directions by moving only one wire. The start leg never sees more than 110 v because of the voltage divider of the two run windings in series. The dotted end of the start leg would be your yellow wire, the other end the red, tied to the strap, junction of run windings.
mark
phasing1za.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark! That helps expand my little mind and makes total sense to me.

Last edited:
You're welcome Rich, another mind expanded
all in a day's work for HM guy :cupcake:

Back