Yet another G0704 to CNC (was CNC Conversion Grizzly G0704 V.S. G0759 )

angelfj1

Active User
Registered
Anxiously awaiting arrival of the new Grizzly G0704. ETA, Monday 3/24.

The plan is to convert this mill to CNC per Hoss - Phase II and also belt drive, simple manual ATC, extended Y- travel, rear mounted Y-axis stepper and possibly a larger motor. I have very little experience operating a mill, but I understand basic lathe operation and own a 9x20. I hope to learn manual operation first and my goal is to make the CNC conversion parts according to Hoss's design prints.

I do have a question for those of you who made your CNC parts with a manual mill. Is a rotary table necessary (or desireable) for parts with a round profile like ballscrew mounts, etc.

Stay tuned for more.

Frank

:))

Last edited:
So I was kinda in the same. Boat as you.

decent amount of experience on a lathe and none on a mill.

i did the conversion too soon, then got overwhelmed with the cnc part.

my advise is to play with making stuff with wax and a lot of it. Then go cnc.

i had to sell my X2 rather then back it out. So now I have a g0704 and getting ready to convert. But I still think it might be too soon.

my experience with with cnc was like trying to add a third arm on my body and controlling it with my eyes closed. Learning cnc is hard IMO , it's harder if you don't have the milling experience.

learning cnc means learning cad at the same time, very overwhelming. But fun as he'll.

its a great hobby, But. Ramp up is huge

Buy a a handwheel, best addition ever

good luck, I look forward to all your lessons learned, I may have not learned yet

Vectric software can help ease the cad/cam learning curve if needed. VcarvePro is 2.5d and Aspire is their 3d package. Free demos are downloadable.

Frank,

To answer your question...Yes, get yourself a rotary table. If you can afford, get one with a set of indexing plates. Their are methods and "work-arounds" for not having one, but it will make some of the parts much easier to make.
Once your up n' running on the CNC conversion, you could add a stepper motor to the rotary table and have yourself a 4th axis.

Pat
Anxiously awaiting arrival of the new Grizzly G0704. ETA, Monday 3/24.

The plan is to convert this mill to CNC per Hoss - Phase II and also belt drive, simple manual ATC, extended Y- travel, rear mounted Y-axis stepper and possibly a larger motor. I have very little experience operating a mill, but I understand basic lathe operation and own a 9x20. I hope to learn manual operation first and my goal is to make the CNC conversion parts according to Hoss's design prints.

I do have a question for those of you who made your CNC parts with a manual mill. Is a rotary table necessary (or desireable) for parts with a round profile like ballscrew mounts, etc.

Stay tuned for more.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank,

To answer your question...Yes, get yourself a rotary table. If you can afford, get one with a set of indexing plates. Their are methods and "work-arounds" for not having one, but it will make some of the parts much easier to make.
Once your up n' running on the CNC conversion, you could add a stepper motor to the rotary table and have yourself a 4th axis.

Pat

Thanks Pat. I have my eye on the Grizzly -- H7527 -- 6" Rotary Table Includes dividing plates and a tailstock for $331.95

Best regards,

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the G0704 arrived at noon today! It's snowing right now and too cold in the garage to begin the cleaning and tear down, but spring weather is supposed to arrive next week. I know I cant wait that long!

Here are a few photos.

DSC07370.JPGDSC07371.JPGDSC07377.JPGDSC07379.JPGDSC07382.JPG

Question: The photo at the bottom shows a fitting coming off of the table, I assume a coolant drain? Has this always been a standard feature?

Frank

DSC07370.JPG DSC07371.JPG DSC07377.JPG DSC07379.JPG DSC07382.JPG

Cool. Time to start shopping for some tooling!
Looking forward to following your progress.

Pat

Cool. Time to start shopping for some tooling!
Looking forward to following your progress.

Pat

Hi Pat: Yes, I agree. I don't understand the details, but I have heard that the Tormach style tool holding system is a good choice. I intend to look into this.

Frank

Question: The photo at the bottom shows a fitting coming off of the table, I assume a coolant drain? Has this always been a standard feature?

Frank

Yes, it is indeed a coolant drain. I got mine in early 2012 and it came with that fitting as well.

Congrats on your mill, have fun-
Dave

" Question: The photo at the bottom shows a fitting coming off of the table, I assume a coolant drain? Has this always been a standard feature?

Frank"

Hi Frank
my zx45 had that fitting also , I put a 90 degree brass street "L" there and ran a tube (3/8 pvc I ran a pipe die on ) parallel to the table to drain in the center of travel. coming straight out is a bit precarious with the splash guards on, and without a tube would make it drain on the floor because my drain pan under my enclosure is not the full size of the machine travel.
steve

DSCF1130.JPG

Back