Yet another "Identify this Tool/Device..."

middle.road

Granite Stoopid...
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Not sure if this is going to be a stumper or not.
According to the Patent Number it is from the early '40s.
Some parts/pieces seem to be missing.
Found in on a high shelf in the back, the red handle caught my eye.

-=- LINK to Patent Filing for answer -=-

0128191207_r001.jpg0128191208_HDR_r004.jpg0128191208_r002.jpg0128191208a_HDR_r003.jpg0128191209_r005.jpg0128191209a_r006.jpg0128191209b_r007.jpg0128191209c_r008.jpg

Looks like a tenon cutter for wood spindles.

It looks to be a hand operated lathe! Clamp the tool into a vise using that protruding tab/flange, place part in the collet holder, adjust the cutting tool then crank away like an organ grinder making his monkey dance!

The proof would be if the sleeve that carries the collet is threaded; on armature lathes, commonly the spindle is threaded and the tool is stationary, the threads do the feeding. I have one of another make for my old Dodge generators/starters. Mine has the Snap On name on it and it is a bit fancier, with a bevel gear drive and a separate screw to do the feeding. I expect that the big tab on the side of it is for holding it in a vise.
The second picture shows the undercutting attachment.

armature lathe 001.JPG

armature lathe 002.JPG

Armature lathe?

I agree. I'm probably dating myself, but had an almost exact copy years ago when I owned a auto and truck repair shop. Turning generator armatures was common. The lug on the bottom was clamped into a vise. You picked the collet for the proper shaft diameter, set the tool for the depth of cut, and turned the crank. With the advent of alternators most of the business went away so it sat on the shelf as a novelty. I recently gave it to a collector.

Quite a handy tool for old car buffs.........originally car generators had centres in the shafts.......then that was dumped for cheaper centreless ground shafts.......couldnt be set up in the little lathe every car repairer had...............the turning tool clamps on the shaft ,needs no centre.

Back