Yet another large direct reading cross slide dial...

Dranreb

Active User
Registered
This is my second attempt at making one of these things, I wanted to be able to zero it but without having a locking screw sticking out, this is what I came up with, the dial is loosened & locked by a 1/4 turn on the center knurled nut.

DSCF2602.JPGDSCF2598.JPG
DSCF2596.JPGDSCF2561.JPG

I hope y'all like the way I've stylishly turned down the numbered area, this detail took a while to achieve...:lmao:

Bernard

DSCF2602.JPG DSCF2598.JPG DSCF2596.JPG DSCF2561.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job wish I had the talent to make one. I should give it a try even with glasses on I cant read the dials anymore

Nice job wish I had the talent to make one. I should give it a try even with glasses on I cant read the dials anymore

Thanks thomas, but it didn't take a lot of talent really, the first one I made was rubbish and both where just made by trial and error, emphasis on the error..

Here's a PDF file of the indexer I made for marking out the dial, if you fancy having a go just print it out then stick it onto a ply disc, then fix that to the back end of your spindle.

View attachment Indexer 200 div numbered anti clockwise..PDF

Bernard

Nice Job Bernard. I wish I could do something for my Atlas 618.

David

Nice Job Bernard. I wish I could do something for my Atlas 618.

David

Hi David, it's a pain there being no room at all under your cross slide, maybe you could make an extension to thread onto the end of the lead screw, which would move the lager dial and crank handle out of the way to stop the cross slide hitting it.

This could be threaded up to a shoulder with a nut to lock the rotatable dial, and threaded smaller at the end to hold the crank handle. The pointer to line the dial up with may need some thought but this would give you the same as mine only further out..

A friend of mine has done a similar thing to put a very big dial on his big old lathe!

Did this in SketchUp if it helps to make it clearer..

extension dial Atlas 618.JPG

Bernard

extension dial Atlas 618.JPG

Bernard thank you very much for taking the time to make the sketch. I love my Atlas 618 and have lots of attachments for it. I am the second owner and have had it for 43 years. Following your idea would also solve another irritant and that is when the cross slide handle is at the 8 oclock position it is easy to hit it when operating the carriage feed handle. I will put this on my project list.

Thank you again and Merry Christmas.

David

Glad to be of some help David, I'd be interested to know how it works out, be sure to keep us posted when you get around to it...

Seasons greetings

Bernard

Glad to be of some help David, I'd be interested to know how it works out, be sure to keep us posted when you get around to it...

Seasons greetings

Bernard

Bernard I took the handle off and looked at how stuff fits together. As you know the handle drives the shaft via a woodruff key, and the nuts on either side of the handle adjust the end play of the lead screw.

I am trying to figure out how to attach the extension so it will have a positive drive to the shaft as well as allow for adjustment of the end play. I really don't want to modify any original parts, and rather not use loctite. The shaft is only 5/16" with NF thread.

Any suggestions for locking the extension on?

Thank you

David

Back