Yet another large direct reading cross slide dial...

Bernard
I do not see a pic of the dial by itself.
I would like to do this for my Logan but I am unable to follow how it works exactly

more advise would be helpful

Bill

Hi Bill, sorry I have no pic of the dial on it's own but these should make things clearer for you, note the set screw..

DSCF2568.JPG

The dial is machined to be a snug fit on both diameters of the hub, no too tight as it will be hard to move on a cold morning, the thickness is such that there is clearance between the dial and the part attached to the saddle, and the knurled nut grips the dial before hitting the shoulder of the hub.

DSCF2595.JPG

After machining the back of the dial I turned it round with the hub in place and crept up on the final shape of the front by trying the nut for finger clearance.

Hope this helps,

Bernard

- - - Updated - - -

Nice job I did something similar to mine it works great!! Thanks for the PDF I will make good use of it how did you lock it in at the end of the spindle??? Thanks .. Ray

I just machined a tap in press fit ally arbor long enough to clear the change gears Ray, held the disk to that with a large washer and small bolt.

Bernard

DSCF2568.JPG DSCF2595.JPG

That's pretty nifty Bernard. It gives me ideas for my little 3 in 1' s dials. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks Bernard

This helps a lot I did miss seeing that set screw.
I am in the process of machining the back piece new to screw into the compound and cross slide then adding a dial to fit.
I like the idea of no set screw on the cross slide to get in the way.

I like the idea of no set screw on the cross slide to get in the way.

Yes that always seems a bit clunky to me, the knurled type sticking out even more so, but I suppose the accountants have the final say...

Bernard

A very useful article it gives everyone some new ideas good going. Ray

Back