Yet Another Logan Lathe!

6of1

Registered
Registered
Hey everyone, I am in the process of a deep clean/rehab of a new to me 1941 Logan 200 stamped# "11107" on tail-stock end and "C 10 7" under head-stock. Anyone know what the stamping under the head-stock is? Oct 7th maybe? Maybe the "C" stands for a facility or shift? Were the serials sequential?

I have plenty of other toys, mostly for woodworking and mechanic-ing but this is my first lathe (wood or metal) and I have always wanted one. Seems like another good way to lose a digit. This one kinda fell in my lap from a customer of my brothers wanted some garage sqft back. I bought it sight unseen, he turned it on and showed my brother it spun (he wouldn't know the difference between a lathe and a sewing machine). It also came with a bunch of its original stuff I think. Steady rest, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, 2 face plates, collets w/the tube part w/wooden handle, 11 change gears, 2-3 Jacobs chucks & a bunch of other crap, lol. I'm sure I am missing pieces tho.. It also came with a 30gal parts washer that a smarter man would have used to clean the lathe parts.. All the above for $150 delivered, by my brother.

I didn't even install the motor, I just started cleaning. It was so bad I couldn't look at it. I have the machine apart, mostly cleaned and an starting the reassembly. I am not painting the machine, just a good cleaning. It was covered in filth so bad I had to soak parts in diesel to remove the crud. It had a mangled cross-feed screw on the handle end so I Fleabayd a replacement. I'm sure I am going to have "issues" the community might help me with and maybe in turn somebody else will find it useful.

I have the head-stock partially reassembled at this point. Backgear shaft and gears, spindle, cone pulley & the shift lever assembly that changes the lead-screw rotation are all back on and the head-stock is mounted back on the bed. I'll get some pics and upload them soon.

Here are some pics of the disassembly!

IMG_6952.JPG

IMG_6964.JPG

IMG_6967.JPG

IMG_6979.JPG

IMG_6980.JPG

Steady rest worth the price alone ,nice project.glad to see someone saving the old stuff from the scrappers.

You did real good....welcome to the forum..

6of1, you came to the right place to find help and encouragement.

Nice score. I hope you got the tailstock with it.

You got a great deal on your lathe! Be sure to ask questions as they come up and welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for sharing. Looks like a lot of happiness is in your future.

Thanks guys! I joined up here at HM because there seems to be plenty of helpful Logan owners, last forum I went to doesn’t even have a Logan section.

Nice score. I hope you got the tailstock with it.

Yup I did, for some reason it was one of first parts off and on the floor when it got here so it didn’t get pictured.

I am going to attempt to update y’all with my phone, I apologize in advance if the pics are rotated or upside down & typos.

I had a few hiccups yesterday putting the headstock back together. It took 2 or 7 tries to get the back gear eccentric shaft back in. Don’t ask me how I did it.

Next was the main bearing. I hope I got it greased enough. I couldn’t get it off the spindle, was afraid of damaging it. So packing it by hand was my only option. I wanted to try vacuum packing the grease but couldn’t with it on the spindle. When I removed the dust covers they were packed full of grease like peanut butter. So I did my best to repack them like they were but with a modern grease. If this keeps me up at night it’s not that difficult to pull the spindle back out.

First real “wtf” moment while reassembling was the retaining bracket for the Fwd/Rev lever. Every time I would tighten the two screws I couldn’t shift the lever. All I can think of is there was a spacer/shim under that bracket and I lost it in the cleaning. I made a new one out of three layers of coke can. (See pic 2) Works good now and doesn’t wobble.

Got the lead screw cleaned and reinstalled which was uneventful thankfully. Today I think I will work on the apron & saddle.

8B301FB5-271F-4993-9D3A-E923A9348763.jpeg

4FA8C5E9-E45E-45BD-B2D5-2B060D1FAFE5.jpeg

D3275838-7A58-4D1C-953F-5B583F55B861.jpeg

14379430-B983-40A1-88F1-296DB00741BF.jpeg

C93CFC60-8E8A-450C-9357-11EE59DA0DB8.jpeg

Welcome to the Model 200 Club. Looks like good original paint under the dirt. I've had mine for about a year-and-a-half. They're great little lathes within their limitations. I've been having all kinds of fun with it.

How did you clean the spindle bearing before repacking it? The old grease in mine was almost crumbly, so I soaked it in Pine-Sol overnight and flushed it really well, repacked it with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease, reassembled it with a 40" serpentine belt, and it's been working great.

I'm in the process of setting mine up with an electronic lead screw to easily do any kind of thread pitch and not have to mess with the change gears. I keep "refining" the code and putting off mounting up everything on the lathe, but other than feeding to a shoulder everything is implemented and I don't think I can put it off much longer. So watch this space if you think you would be interested in doing something similar to yours.

First, welcome.
Second, fantastic score!
Third, :you suck:(but I mean that in the nicest of ways--I spent a LOT more than that on mine)

Last edited:
Back