Yet Another Logan Lathe!

It’s ALIVE! It spins and other then the drive unit being a bit noisy seems to be working. He did tell me the motor was rebuilt 2 years ago so I hope it out lives me.

Well I got anxious and decided to get the motor and drive thrown on. I don’t think it’s installed correctly, meaning the way it’s mounted to the headstock (see pics). It was obviously “re-engineered” at some point. The hinge parts bolted to headstock are backwards for some reason and these bronze spacers have been made. Also the bolts are sloppy loose in the holes. Like 1/2” hole with 1/4 bolt loose.

So maybe the first thing I will be making is delrin or nylon bushings?
Anyone like to ponder a guess as to why this modification was made? Cause I can’t think of one.

Also I think the lathe was stored for a few years at some point in 2 different locations. The level of patina (nice way of saying rust) on the drive cover and the lathe itself are night and day different.

I have added a pic of the change gears that were in the crate. What is a full set? Sizes?

As always thanks guys for your help

B607540D-8558-4E79-B794-21AF22152182.jpeg

847C0228-8162-4179-8A56-E29F63E2757D.jpeg

2F375A14-A550-4CE9-9CA6-A855BBFCA4D3.jpeg

There should be pins with rubber dampeners that hold the drive unit on. You can see the hole for the set screw that secures the pin in the pic.

Ok I think I know why it was re-engineered at some point and also why the patina on the drive is different then the lathe.

My lathe originally used the LA-16 drive box (see pic 1). It had bosses built in and the hinge on lathe were setup like mine.

My drive box is version LA-16-2 (see pic 2). In this version the bosses are removed and the hinges are flipped 180 to mine.

So for now I guess I will just make a 3D printed bushing to fill the difference between the 3/8” bolt and the 5/8” hinge hole and put back in the bronze spacers.

B78B9D69-B5BF-4C38-AB28-35CAAD6824B5.jpeg

8A949E09-7C54-4F3A-AD21-FF156895E82A.jpeg

Yay! I used the lathe to open up the 3D printed bushings I made for the drive box. ABS plastic, baby steps :grin big: they might not last but the drive box is now centered instead of wobbly.

Got it pretty much assembled, it’s in less pieces then it was when it got here. Need to get a few more odds and ends make it complete. Wipers, maybe a cross slide nut and I think a half nut set, unfortunately.

1D9AB1E8-21BB-4DDB-ADF0-28F71F6E81AE.jpeg

04D5EE3D-7D5A-4829-98A3-A2514875D5A7.jpeg

DD4E54EE-46B5-4855-8389-DCB0FE81A4A1.jpeg

104F507A-82B1-4B1A-B10F-7BB1B2B34BD3.jpeg

theres a guy that makes half nuts goes by Jayhawk machine believe it was in iowa? I sent mine down he sent a rebuilt set back forget the price. but he uses brass to rebuild them...new ones from logan will be more expensive and made to the original cast iron which will just where out again.... google that name and you should find some info..i had his card here at one time...but where is now???

Nice find and great price! As others have said, the tooling that came with it exceeds what you paid. You are doing a nice job cleaning it up as well. My 200 is serial no. 15012. Good luck with it and have fun.

Yay! I used the lathe to open up the 3D printed bushings I made for the drive box. ABS plastic, baby steps :grin big: they might not last but the drive box is now centered instead of wobbly.

Got it pretty much assembled, it’s in less pieces then it was when it got here. Need to get a few more odds and ends make it complete. Wipers, maybe a cross slide nut and I think a half nut set, unfortunately.

Good job on the bushings. I think I got my replacements from eBay. There is what looks to be a pristine set of half nuts on eBay right now for $130 plus $7 shipping. Logan sells them new (LP-1090) for $155, and I think the shipping is about $27. It doesn't look like Jayhawk has any in stock right now (on eBay), but you might contact him and ask.

yes check with Jayhawk directly don't go buy whats on ebay... he didn't have any in stock when I dealt with him either but I sent my castings and he fixed them up fairly quickly and returned them rebuilt.. his name is mike Neville cant find his card but im sure if you google his name or the company name something will come up

I messaged him via eBay, hasn’t replied yet but it’s the weekend so he might not have seen it yet.

Well its been a while, just thought I would post some updates.

Got the garage cleaned (didn't last long) and the machine in its place. Found a big box of brand new heavy-duty leveling feet at the church yard sale and got it leveled to the best of my ability with multiple carpentry levels. It will have to do until I get my small machinist level re-calibrated.

I never got in touch with Jayhawk about rebuilding my half-nuts. I tried multiple times/methods and didn't receive a reply. Ended up finding a set on eBay with very little wear, 15-20% worn max. They should out last me, might try and rebuild my old ones eventually. Installed in about 10mins and are night and day better then the old ones.

For Xmas I got a QCTP, Carbide insert tool set and Felt sheet (for wipers). Install in progress...

Back