Yet another mill I just started looking at but this one is diffrent

Then this machine would be a colossally bad purchase for you.

I can't make out the data plate but does your parents house even have the power to run such a thing?

You already have a Bridgeport, learn how to use that first before buying more equipment just for the sake of having it. Also think about if you ever want to move out of your parents home where will your shop be?

If you really want to work as a machinist then go get some training and learn to run CNC machines, there's plenty of work out there. What is your internship in anyway?

At your age I had plenty of "more important things" to spend my money on, most of them were redheads;)

Oh, and go ask your dad if he wants more machine tools in the garage before you even think about buying anything else....

John
we have a pretty big pole barn and Im currently building a rotary phase converter. its a 1956. Im interning as a mechanical tech, I dont plan on being a machinist but just a hobbyist. and trust me at this rate I wil get into cnc machines

It's awesome to have space and parents who encourage you to use it productively. Don't abuse the privilege; show them you are diligent, thoughtful and deliberate in this pursuit and they will probably continue to support your efforts.

You said you already have a Bridgeport but it's fairly worn out. If I were in your position I would work on making that tool into the best it can be without investing a silly amount of money into it. There's a reason they are still hanging around in production shops where everything else has been changed over to CNC. The Bridgeport style vertical mill is probably one of the most versatile machine tools available, with that and a decent lathe most machining processes can be accomplished given knowledge, practice and the right accessories.

Horizontal mills on the other hand were mostly used for production, not tool & die or prototype shops. Big old ones are typically worth less than scrap value given the effort it takes to move them. The machine pictured above might be a great specimen at a fantastic price but it will be a "white elephant" in most hobby shops. If you really want a horizontal mill you would be better off looking for an Atlas 7" or similar benchtop unit that has some resale value after you fix it up. Much like the Bridgeport, the little horizontals are actually sought after by hobbyists. Big horizontals, large shapers, giant lathes, not so much.

If you have the room then I believe you would be much better served putting your effort into a big lathe but that's just my opinion....

John

It's awesome to have space and parents who encourage you to use it productively. Don't abuse the privilege; show them you are diligent, thoughtful and deliberate in this pursuit and they will probably continue to support your efforts.

You said you already have a Bridgeport but it's fairly worn out. If I were in your position I would work on making that tool into the best it can be without investing a silly amount of money into it. There's a reason they are still hanging around in production shops where everything else has been changed over to CNC. The Bridgeport style vertical mill is probably one of the most versatile machine tools available, with that and a decent lathe most machining processes can be accomplished given knowledge, practice and the right accessories.

Horizontal mills on the other hand were mostly used for production, not tool & die or prototype shops. Big old ones are typically worth less than scrap value given the effort it takes to move them. The machine pictured above might be a great specimen at a fantastic price but it will be a "white elephant" in most hobby shops. If you really want a horizontal mill you would be better off looking for an Atlas 7" or similar benchtop unit that has some resale value after you fix it up. Much like the Bridgeport, the little horizontals are actually sought after by hobbyists. Big horizontals, large shapers, giant lathes, not so much.

If you have the room then I believe you would be much better served putting your effort into a big lathe but that's just my opinion....

John
I agree that they aren't worth as much and I definitely agree I should get a bigger lathe. I should just be happy with what I have and invest a little more money into the Bridgeport. should I get a cheap dro kit for it?

Yes, a DRO is definitely a good thing to have, especially if you have a lot of backlash....

John

Yes, a DRO is definitely a good thing to have, especially if you have a lot of backlash....

John
well then ill get the dro I have been looking at. its cheap but I think it will be more accurate than the machine is currently

The DRO helps to make YOU more accurate, the machine will be the same ;)

Read the threads with @Richard King 2 and learn what can be done to make machines more accurate...

John

With the vertical head attachment, i would consider that a very useful machine. It is fair sized for a horizontal, but still smaller than my Gorton. Just me but at that price I would be all over it, if it's in decent condition. I agree on fixing up the Bridgeport, but I doubt you would ever regret buying that machine. JMHO Cheers, Mike

With the vertical head attachment, i would consider that a very useful machine. It is fair sized for a horizontal, but still smaller than my Gorton. Just me but at that price I would be all over it, if it's in decent condition. I agree on fixing up the Bridgeport, but I doubt you would ever regret buying that machine. JMHO Cheers, Mike
If my dad lets me I too will be all over it

You said it’s 5 ish hour away trip where are you located that machine is up New York way I saw it for sale also and also considered taking a drive to go check it out and I’m only 3-1/2 hours away in Maryland the thing to consider with a machine that size is what it would cost to load it and transport and then unload it and then again with the power supply to run such a machine ? All things to consider . Just because it has a low price up front what is it going to cost you when it’s all said and done to have a working and able to hold a tolerance when making a cut
But if your looking for a project a machine to clean up go over and restore well there you go there are a lot of them out there

Back